ES - Re: Serving as best we can

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Sat Oct 14 23:36:47 PDT 2000

Dear Mara

 I understand you need to have a golf cart but I have seen a disturbing
trend in other people. I spent one evening talking a gentleman out of
getting his own golf cart to ride around in at events. The security have
made them very prominent and they seem to taking over. Some security
people make them seem like a big status symbol. Instead of being a
background thing they seem to be every where. I like riding in the golf
carts as much as anyone but maybe they have gotten to be to much fun.
Maybe we could cut down on their use. People that are able could patrol
in the old fashion way and we save the golf carts for special situations
that need speed.

While I don't mean to force my opinions down people throats and I don't
want to argue with the people who say "I just need to live with it" the
presence of so much mundanity has taken the fun out  of  the SCA for me
and is the main reason I haven't been going to a lot of events. Without
the magic I see no reason for going to a SCA event. I can be comfortable
and mundane at home. I know golf carts are a small thing but If we could
cut their use in half and cut some of the other mundane things out maybe
we would increase the magic.

Duchess Willow