sedan chairs (was Re: ES - Re: Serving as best we can)

Jane Sitton-Logan jesitton at swbell.net
Mon Oct 16 18:36:53 PDT 2000

Greetings from Madelina!

Hmmmm.... Logan's Scottish thinking is rubbing off on me....

rickshaws?  don't know what they're called, but the carriage thingy carried by
four people in various costume plays... Some strong, enterprising young men
could make some money ferrying people around... SEDAN CHAIRS!!  (Can you tell
this is a train of thought post?)

Here are some links:

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/MOLsite/gallery/trans6.htm

http://library.thinkquest.org/22254/sedchair.htm

http://www.cccgt.org/sed-hist.htm

http://www.vatican.va/museums/patrons/documents/vm_pat_doc_04022000_sedanchair_en.html

http://www.taxi-l.org/anecs.htm

http://visi.net/~rosemary/england.html    scroll down to the bottom of the page
for a pic

http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/sedan-chairs-msg.html    Stefan's
florilegium file on sedan cars

Wonder if you could put wheels on the back and have two people draw it?

This has inspired many ideas....

As far as golf carts are concerned, I do think they should be allowed, to a
point: used only when absolutely necessary.  I liked the idea of riding up near
the desired location, dismounting, then walking the rest of the way if
possible.  I would NOT use them to ferry royals and other notables from one
place to another.  There are plenty of people who can carry baskets, folding
chairs, etc., for the elevated.  I think we need to stress the "emergency"/"only
when absolutely necessary" aspect more strongly.

That said, I know from personal experience what it is to avoid events due to not
being physically up to the challenge of the walking, uphill climbing, and
sleeping in less than orthopedic-support conditions.  That is why Laird Logan
and I have been unable to play much lately (financial concerns aside).  I got to
the point where I was so exhausted by Sunday afternoon that I could barely get
packed, and could hardly get out of bed on Monday morning.  My ankles and feet
would swell, my knees would scream, my back would go out.  Most of this is
largely due to being vastly overweight and out of shape, but the strain sure
didn't help my arthritis, either.  Now that I am working out in the gym 3 days a
week and am gainfully employed, I might just be able to start playing again.  I
have been feeling much better physically and mentally, and have missed you all
very much.

Please don't deny our disabled (is "physically challenged" more P.C.?) folk
their ability to participate.  Perhaps having things like events and time spent
with friends to look forward to may be the only thing keeping some people from
being shut-ins.

As everyone has said tonight, just my two sous.

Madelina de Lindesaye
aka Jane Sitton-Logan