ES - Field Trip to a NEW SITE!

INEZ ADAMS ldyinnes at juno.com
Sun Oct 1 06:40:44 PDT 2000

Upon returning from the field trip,  I needed to think about everything
that I saw and heard.  So here tis.

First, I would appoligize for taking up so much space.

The size of the site is 50 acres  4/5 is in trees.  The
only cleared space is where the trees have been cut.
which means stumps that must be taken out.

They have 3 porta potties on site which will stay, we
will have to get more at appros $75.00 ea.for the
regular ones,  more for the handicapped ones.

Their regular events usually have anywhere from
150 to 200  and they have small tents.  At this point
we could probably get 300 in,  Not much room for
the period pavillions.

Parking lot is laid out in a circle and not lined out.
everyone would have to be very courteous with their
parking.

There are no fire ordanaces to speak of except
that all of Navarro County is under a burn ban.
In case of fire grab your purse, carkeys and GET
OUT.  since these are deep forest type woods.

Ground fires ar permitted in Pits.

List Field:  They are in the process of cutting trees
and the list field should be adequate once all are
cut.  At this point there is no ground cover on the
list field.

There is an area that can be used for an archery range
although very small only about 150 feed in length.

Plenty of shade,  mostly elm and oak with some cedar
thrown in.

Water and Electricity will be at the main gate.  They are
not sure how far into the site they are going to run
them.  Good walk from camping.

There is no creek on site to cause problems, however
there are several drainage washes.  and if you get a
real downpour.  drainage is slow.
I saw several places where someone got stuck in the
mud, apparently trying to turn around.  Im talking deep
ruts.   The road on site is in a roughly defined circle and
was designed to be a one way

The soil on site is balck land over a base of clay, which
again means poor drainage.  The clay acts as a stopper
and does not absorb.  so dont get stuck.

Misquito problem in spring due to standing water in the
washes.

No public accessibility,  they say they have not been
bothered with mundanes wandering in.

Navarro County sherriff patrols the area.

Closest Medical Facility in in Corsicanna Hospital.

Stores near site,  small and would probably not
cooperate with Ice.  since he ordered extra for
their last event and did not sell it. Kinda miffed.

They are building wheelchair size bridged across
the washes,  I dont know how many.

As far as mowing before events,  they will mow the
parking lot and there is nothing else to mow.
The only grass on site is in small bunches and
not enough to mow.

There is no sound ordanance.  except for your neighbors
in the camp area.

Wildlife:  Armadillos, Racoons, Cayotes, Snakes and
Scorpions.   Snakes do include the copperhead.
BRRRRRRR!

In the planning stages is a Covered Pavillion ,
described as a pole barn.   Not real substantial

In short this site reminds me a great deal of
the Ennis site where we worked our buns
off and then got flooded out both times we
used it.

This site has potential for the future, as they have only been
working on it for 2 years.  But as for now I would not
want to hold a hot weather event there. or spring for
that matter because of the poor drainage.

In service
Lady Innes

PS:  Timothy the street address is
1095 NW CR3055