ES - Tanglewood - David's Response

Timothy Rayburn timothy_of_glastonbury at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 10:49:16 PDT 2000

As I am trying to remain a non-advisarial proponent of this site, I
asked David Hall (land owner) to respond to Innes' post.  Here is his
response. RGK is the team of folks who work the site, including David.

Timothy of Glastonbury
Autocrat of Springfaire

David's Reply :

Here's my responses to many of her concerns. I preface my comments with
DCH:
There were a few points of hers that I don't respond to because they
require
no response.

******************
The size of the site is 50 acres  4/5 is in trees.  The
only cleared space is where the trees have been cut.
which means stumps that must be taken out.

DCH: We remove stumps. If there any in particular that are causing
problems,
point them out.

******************
They have 3 porta potties on site which will stay, we
will have to get more at appros $75.00 ea.for the
regular ones,  more for the handicapped ones.

DCH: The RGK provides for porta potties of 1 per 50 persons expected.
If you
plan to provide only the Handicapped ones, there should be plenty. I
just
need lead time to arrange for them.

******************
Their regular events usually have anywhere from
150 to 200  and they have small tents.  At this point
we could probably get 300 in,  Not much room for
the period pavillions.

DCH: True. However, proper planning can make room for the pavilions.

******************
Parking lot is laid out in a circle and not lined out.
everyone would have to be very courteous with their
parking.

DCH: Not really a circle, but a rounded trapezoid. Poor parking plans
could
present a problem.

******************
There are no fire ordanaces to speak of except
that all of Navarro County is under a burn ban.
In case of fire grab your purse, carkeys and GET
OUT.  since these are deep forest type woods.

DCH: The fire ban will not be in effect in April. If it is, time to
leave
Texas.

******************
List Field:  They are in the process of cutting trees
and the list field should be adequate once all are
cut.  At this point there is no ground cover on the
list field.

DCH: True.

******************
There is an area that can be used for an archery range
although very small only about 150 feed in length.

DCH: The area she is speaking of is lit with bright pole mounted
lights.

******************
Water and Electricity will be at the main gate.  They are
not sure how far into the site they are going to run
them.  Good walk from camping.

DCH: Water will be near the main gate. There is power at each of the
aforementioned light poles (2), and at the pole where the meter is.

******************
There is no creek on site to cause problems, however
there are several drainage washes.  and if you get a
real downpour.  drainage is slow.
I saw several places where someone got stuck in the
mud, apparently trying to turn around.  Im talking deep
ruts.   The road on site is in a roughly defined circle and
was designed to be a one way

DCH: All True. In heavy rain, don't let your car off the graveled road.
It
will get stuck.

******************
The soil on site is black land over a base of clay, which
again means poor drainage.  The clay acts as a stopper
and does not absorb.  so dont get stuck.

DCH: True.

******************
Misquito problem in spring due to standing water in the
washes.

DCH: Depends on your definition of problem. Yes there are mosquitoes,
but I
have the same number per square foot at my house in Rowlett. We could
try
chemical solutions.(?)

******************
No public accessibility,  they say they have not been
bothered with mundanes wandering in.

DCH: True.

******************
They are building wheelchair size bridged across
the washes,  I dont know how many.

DCH: Probably only from the Lighted area to the list field. All common
areas
are currently wheelchair accessible, but the shortcuts are not.

I will have an extra bridge built and we'll drop it where most needed,
based
on who camps where.

******************
As far as mowing before events,  they will mow the
parking lot and there is nothing else to mow.
The only grass on site is in small bunches and
not enough to mow.

We'll mow anywhere the grass is a problem and the tractor can access.

******************
In the planning stages is a Covered Pavillion ,
described as a pole barn.   Not real substantial.

DCH: It will be a bit more than "Not real substantial", but it's not
going
to be a place to hide from the storm or the cold. It's designed to keep
the
rain off of feast and court (Amtgard sized). We're trying to get it 50'
70'.

******************
Fire protection:  No one seems to know anything re
fire dept protection.  Since it is a very rural area,
I am assuming that it is volunteer dept. and that
is something I would be interested in knowing.

DCH: We'll get that answer soon.

******************
Also,  there seems to be no regular trash removal,
The trash is in plastic trash bags and in a 3 sided
open stockade type area.  that will attract all of the
above listed animals plus.  skunks, and possoms
just to name a couple.

DCH: Trash removal is by yours truly. There will be no trash on site at
the
start of the event. Trash will be handled by the RGK after the event.

******************
The site roads are only 1 vehicle wide.  So if someone
is sitting in the road, ie: during rainy weather, no one
can get by.

DCH: Don't sit in the road.

******************
In short set up and tear down would be a logistical
nightmare.

DCH: Not really. If it's raining, there can be problems. If there's not

rain. No problem. Many of the campsites have driveways (Not rain
worthy).

In rain. Stop the car, unload everything as quickly as possible, and
drive
to the parking lot.

******************
Hot weather events:  If a lot of underbrush is not cleared
out,  no wind  can get thru,  without electricity to camp
sites no fans to move the air.  We are talking hot,
still, and steamy here.  and some people are
physically unable to take that kind of heat.

DCH: True. Those with NEED for power should bring extension cords and
camp
near a power pole. This is a limited resource, so it should be used
only by
those in greatest need.

Also,  some of our populace who have sleep apnea, for
instance, will be sol for camping.

DCH: Again, if you don't have a Honda 1000iu generator (Real quiet)
like I
do for my apnea, then your need for power limits your options as to
campsite. In reality, there are two campsites near enough to power for
a 50
- 100' extension cord. There are also merchant areas close to power.