ES - New History Channel Documentary

Christine Fink maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 27 11:35:02 PDT 2000

I thought someone might find these new shows interesting.....

The History Channel (not the International History Channel) will be airing a
new 3-day special entitled "History of Britain". It will air this coming
Monday through Wednesday at 8:00 central time! It looked **really**
interesting! Here's the snippet from their website:

"World Premiere! History of Britain: A definitive look at the epic history
of Britain, History of Britain traces 5,000 years of the British experience,
crossing three continents, a dozen countries, and hundreds of locations to
revisit Britain's past in all its dramatic glory. From the Norman Conquest
to the Black Plague, King Arthur to Elizabeth I, the series recounts
dramatic stories while exploring a network of interconnected themes,
including the formation of a nation-state, the cyclical nature of power, and
the struggles between the oppressors and the oppressed. This six-part,
six-hour world premiere miniseries is based on the new two-volume book, A
History of Britain: At the Edge of the World, written by Simon Schama.

• Airs Monday-Wednesday, October 30-November 1 at 9pm ET/PT "

I'm thinking of buying a couple of new video tapes to record this series.

Also, tonight they are airing a special on the history of Halloween at 9:00
pm:

The Haunted History of Halloween
On October 31, when pint-sized ghouls and goblins "trick or treat," they're
upholding an ancient northern European ritual dating back thousands of
years. From the Celtic festival of Samhain, to the mumming tradition, to the
Christian feast day All Hallows' Eve, we find out why this night is the
scariest of the year!

Right after the above special, they are having a history on werewolves at
10:00 pm:

Legends of the Werewolves
Though today's image of werewolves comes mostly from Hollywood, the myth has
ancient roots worldwide. Travel along as we search for the fantastic stories
of werewolves from the ancient Greeks and Romans, the Scandinavians, to the
fairy tale "Little Red Riding Hood". We also learn the scientific and
medical view of werewolf hysteria

Since the History Channel split into the 2 seperate channels and the
International History Channel only being on digital cable, it is rare that
they show our period's history (mostly 20th century and WWI stuff). So,
needless to say I'm pretty excited over the history of Britain! :)

Maria