ES - Re: Serving as best we can

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Mon Oct 16 08:08:52 PDT 2000

Duchess Willow speaks for me with these words:
<snip>
>I like riding in the golf carts as much as anyone but
> maybe they have gotten to be to much fun.  Maybe we
> could cut down on their use. People that are able could > patrol in the old fashion way and we save the golf
> carts for special situations that need speed.

Or for people who, like Mara, need special accomdation.

I wonder if we wouldn't be better off combining something
larger with something smaller.  I know they're a bear to
transport, but the scooters used by Mara in the past, and
regularly by Fearghus, are much less intrusive, for the
tasks that most of us would simply walk to.  Then for
tasks like transporting the injured, the ice, the
thrones, the occasional exhausted baron, etc., we could
actually use cars or trucks.  Both of which seem less
likely to be taken by drunken revellers for late-night
joyrides, which I've also been guilty of.

I am very mindful that golf carts have enabled people to
serve who wouldn't have otherwise been able to, and I'm
sure we can come up with some compromise that won't
impinge too much on our attempt at a medieval atmosphere,
and will still serve the needs of our members.  I do
agree that golf carts have gotten too much recreational
use, considering the nature of our society.  I think we
can address that issue without, as the saying goes,
"throwing out the baby with the bathwater".

- Galen