ES - Galen gets editorial

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Mon Oct 2 10:28:36 PDT 2000

The following should be clearly understood to be a
matter of opinion:

Ebeneezer Scrooge once said, "If I could work my will,
every fool who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' upon
his lips would be boiled in his own pudding, and buried
with a stake of holly through his heart!"

And if I had my way, we would never use those much-
abused words "official" and "unofficial" in the SCA
again.

In all-too-common SCA practice, some things are
declared "official" so that other things may be
designated "unofficial".  And "unofficial" is employed
to exempt activities from the SCA rules that ought to
govern them.

"Since it's an unofficial fighter practice," we were
recently asked, "do we have to wear armor?"  To which
my question is, is it a fighter practice or not?  We
wear armor to fight at fighter practice.  Some people
try to get around this by holding a fighter-practice-
that-isn't-a-fighter-practice, which they
call "unofficial".

We recently heard a distinction made between official
and unofficial deputies.  Most deputies are not
warranted, but do they have to be members?  Only
the "official" deputies, whatever they are.  There
seemed to be some idea that "official" deputies are the
designated successors of the officers whom they serve
with.  But that ignores the authority of regional
officers to appoint successors.  Once again, we
see "unofficial" used to rescue someone from making an
either-or decision.  With "unofficial", we can have it
both ways!  When, in fact, there's no reason or rule to
require that local deputies be paid members.  (Although
we certainly encourage everyone to be paid members.)

Once upon a time in the SCA, we had "unofficial"
events.  _Corpora_ defined what made an unofficial
event and what qualified as an official event.  That
went away about a dozen years ago, during the _Corpora_
re-write during my time as Kingdom Seneschal.  I
suggested that we simply define what qualified as an
SCA event, and take no note of things that don't
qualify.

It's so much easier that way.  The insurance carrier
doesn't get twitchy.  I know whether to go by "Paul" or
by "Galen".  I have a clue what to wear.  If it's an
SCA event, SCA rules apply, it's covered under the
terms of our insurance, officers have whatever duties
or responsibilities officers have, etc.

"Unofficial" is a weasel-word, used in the SCA to have
things both ways.  But if the activity is an SCA
activity, if people attending expect the activity to be
an SCA function, if it was promoted in SCA forums, then
it should be treated as an SCA event.

Let's purge "unofficial" from our vocabulary.

- Galen