ES - Re: GW Kitchen

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Sep 7 10:18:07 PDT 2000

> Allessandra here:
>
> I have some points to make here regarding GW meals:
>
> 1. Yes, we probably should get a truck to haul the stuff that is
> going to be
> used in common at Gulf War.  I really liked Mirrim's idea of
> "renting" space
> out in the truck, XX dollars per square foot.  That way we can allow
> individuals to put stuff in the vehicle and perhaps utilize a van (like
> Xene's, Bice's, etc.) for actually transporting bodies.

I heartily support this with cells taking up a collection to put their
equipment in the truck and Baronies, etc paying for the space they take
up.

> 2. "Cells" - The idea behind this was to control how many people to cook
> _for_, not how many could cook.  Perhaps this is not what is
> needed.  We do
> need to find a way to serve approximately 100 people at the same time, in
> the same location, without shackling several poor people to the
> kitchen to
> do all the cleaning, preping, and serving of food.
>
> Arabella has made a good point, if we do cells, then we have about 5
> different "kitchens" going on at once.  This was not what we were
> interested
> in, if I understand it correctly.  The hope is to combine
> resources so that
> people do not have to do as much work to prepare meals.  But we are also
> talking about possible logistical nightmare!
>
> Here is a suggested alternative:
>
> I think we should combine the "cells" idea with the idea of "communal"
> dining.  First - only dinners would be communal.  Everyone would
> contribute
> SOMETHING to this.  Each night, one of the "cells" could provide the main
> entree, with the other cells providing side
> dishes/desserts/drinks, EXCEPT
> the one cell who had CLEAN UP duty for that evening.

This removes one of the better points of the "five kitchens" - the grouping
of people with like tastes/needs into cells which can then tailor their
food prep to their tastes/needs. For instance, a vegetarian group could
cook only veggie stuff. People who are allergic to onions could group
together without making everyone else's food bland.

Perhaps we could provide common seating and a larger common kitchen area
where multiple cooks could prepare food. I know "too many cooks spoil the
broth". Maybe more experienced "foodies" could manage the kitchen to
prepare the menus selected by the various cells. Each cell would have to
contribute cooks helpers and cleanup people to the common kitchen which
would then be managed by the head cook for the night (or for the run of
the war). Each cell would also provide the ingredients for their menu,
but could use common spices and some special purpose cookware, if available.

The menus would have to be presented to the head cook before war so he/she
could make sure the items cooked were compatible with the equipment and
timing. We would not want 5 stews cooked the same night with only 3 stew
pots. I would be willing to be either a head cook or an assistant cook
from my cell for at least one night and clean up for a couple of nights.

> Then for breakfast and lunch (which are usually NOT cooking endeavors -
> <sorry Crandal and Llwellyn) each cell could provide to its own members
> their favorite foods, and where they want them arranged (some
> will need them
> at the tourney fields, others might want a sandwich back at camp, others
> might want to have ready-made for traveling around site, etc.)

If we share the kitchen and some of the cells want to cook, then we
need to coordinate that also.

> Please pick this apart at your leisure.  I am hoping that from
> this little
> idea, perhaps better ones may follow.

Thanks for the cogent suggestions. I hope I have not "picked apart"
your good work, but