ES - SCA Resources (fwd)

Matthew G Saroff msaroff at pobox.com
Wed Sep 13 07:25:02 PDT 2000

"Richard Culver" <rbculver at hotmail.com> wrote:
>     With all do respect, Your Excellency, I would have to disagree with your
> recommendation.
	Absolutely.
>     Europe in manner or another has had contact, for example, with Native
> American at least since the settlement of Greenland (Inuit) and certainly in
> Vinland (various tribes).  I would hate to think, knowing the "viking"
> mentality that a few select women might have made it at least to Iceland
> from the "New World".
	It's more than that.  American Indians made it to Europe before 1600.
(Heck, Pocahontas made it to Europe only about 10 years after period).
In
the mid 1500s, it was the fashionable "In Thing" to have Indians in
native
garb in court.
	There is a person with an Aztec personae in the Midrealm.  He fights
in a Leopard skin cloak, he dresses in Tudor at events.  His story is
that
he was taken as a slave to Europe.
>     The Chinese and Japanese have much going on then too.  Certainly a few
> eastern European countries still benefited from and even traveled the
> oriental trade routes long before Europeans decided to take the scenic route
> and set sail.
	One can certainly easily document Chinese having contact with the
Arab world.  The Japanese are more difficult.  The only documentation of
Japanese in/around Europe that I've found were about 15 monks who
visited
the Pope in the 1500s.  Japan was a very xenophobic and insular society.
	As to Africa, all of North Africa had contact with Europe and were
generally called "Moores".  The Portuguese had explored down almost all
of the East Coast of Africa in period.
	The horn of Africa is mentioned during biblical times (The Queen of
Sheba is Ethiopian).
	If someone wanted to claim Madagascar I might be dubious, but
otherwise it might be fine.
	BTW, there was a significant trade between Africa and Europe
in Iron, with Africa being the exporter.  They had a blast furnace that
pre-heated the air and got about a 200 degree temperature, resulting in
a higher quality iron.  They held this advantage until the early 1800s.
	As an african, the personae of an Iron or a weapons merchant
would be appropriate.
--
--Sfi Mordehai ben Yosef Yitzhak, Aka Matthew G. Saroff

This is not the Dream.  This is what I do on weekends to have some fun.

The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool
Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries,
satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.
Check http://www.pobox.com/~msaroff, including The Bad Hair Web Page
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes