ES - SCA Resources (fwd)

Todd Marsh Llywelyn at home.com
Tue Sep 12 07:15:28 PDT 2000

Since the SCA studies pre-17th century western Europe, I would not expect to
find any information about Asian, African, or American cultures from SCA
materials.  If you are considering a non-European SCA persona, please
reconsider.  Some groups traveled extensively in Europe during this period,
including Moors, Byzantines, Huns, Mongols, and Russians.  The Chinese,
Japanese, and native Americans did not.

I have not looked for Japanese costume information, but for other costume
research I use art history books, biographies with portraits, sumptuary laws
limiting what could be worn, and other books about the culture.  It takes a
lot of reading to find the details you need to recreate the outfit.  If you
find a theatrical costume book or other summary, check their conclusions
with other sources before you accept their advice.

Llywelyn Gruffydd