ES - Galen gets baronial

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Wed Sep 20 10:08:04 PDT 2000

Galen here...

I'm posting this to the whole barony because I know of
several people who need to hear what I'm going to say,
and there are probably a few more who need to hear it
that I don't know of.  So if the shoe fits, by all
means put it on, but don't think this note is aimed
only at you.

"Life is Good in Elfsea."  It's not just a sig-line,
it's how we live in this barony.  We all have a lot to
be proud of, in our Kingdom, our region, our barony,
and (for many of us) our Canton or College.  We all
have much to be proud of in our own personal
contributions to Elfsea's quality of life.  Few of us
can do as much as we'd like, but all of us do
_something_ to make things better in Elfsea.  Even the
folks who live outside our region, and participate long-
distance via this list, find ways to contribute.

And for these contributions, everyone wants
recognition.  Most of us are just happy to know that
people realize that we're here, doing our best.  So I
hope each of you, as part of your contribution, are
letting the people around you know how much you
appreciate what they do for Elfsea and its constituent
members and branches.

For some, including several coming up this weekend, we
have the SCA's formal award structure, to recognize
outstanding service rendered and skills displayed.  Not
everyone who is due this sort of recognition will get
it this weekend; but there's always the next event.
(Indeed, Her Excellency and I have already begun the
list of awards for Tor Yule Revel; there are awards
that have been earned and decided upon, that will _not_
come this weekend.)  I'm sure we'll all be very happy
for our friends who do get awards at Elfsea Defender.

And of course, there is the event itself.  Virtually
all of us have some part to play in bringing this event
to what will undoubtedly be its successful conclusion.
There's a lot of stress in these next few days as
things come down to the wire.  A lot of work will be
done, much of it by people who didn't come expecting to
do those tasks, but who came ready to do whatever
needed to be done.  As we say in Ansteorra, "that's
what heroes do."

But no matter the cause or the deadline, the strength
of Elfsea has been and must remain in our ability to
work together.  This is necessary for the continuance
of Elfsea as the place where everybody knows that Life
is Good.  And this necessity -- working together --
demands several things of each of us:  enthusiasm,
willingness to work, willingness to both lead and
follow, respect for others, consideration of others,
and gratitude for the presence of those we're working
with.  It also requires an understanding of the
limitations of others (and ourselves), and a
determination to be as easy to work with as possible,
as well as a recognition of the need to include as many
participants as possible.

Some people sometimes get the idea that they have the
authority to attempt to require others to do certain
tasks by virtue of their rank, office, or experience.
Sometimes they think their rank, office, or experience -
- or the rank of the person they're assisting -- fills
in gaps in their comportment that would otherwise be
bridged with courtesy.  Fortunately, very few people
hold such mistaken ideas for long (though sometimes
people forget again and this behavior recurrs).

Take it from me, neither rank, office, nor experience
confers authority.  This is a volunteer group, and our
membership is only going to do those things it wants to
do (or in some cases, wants to have done).  Sometimes,
your rank, office or experience will put you in a
position in which it's your responsibility to get
people to do certain tasks; in such a case, you must
motivate people to _want_ to do what you want them to
do.  And you must do it in such a way that they are
glad afterwards they did it.  This rarely involves
lecturing, yelling, or hostility of any kind.  It does
involve explanation, compromise, cooperation, patience,
and forgiveness.  And above all, courtesy.  You can't
push a rope.

The weather this weekend looks like it'll be greatly
improved over the last couple of months, but I'd like
to remind everyone that just when it's hottest and
you're at your tiredest, and it's hardest to be
courteous and understanding of the people around you,
that's when the people around you most need your
courtesy and understanding.  I expect this of all of
you, because this is what makes Life Good in Elfsea.
In our barony, that's what heroes do.

I am so proud of every one of you.  Life really is Good
in Elfsea, and this Elfsea Defender is going to be
great!

- Galen, Baron