ES - Fwd: [Medieval_Spain] Re: AoA titles?

Christine Fink maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 08:06:01 PDT 2000

Buenos Dias!

A few weeks ago I asked the question about title for those with Spanish
personas. Well, I stumbled upon an e-mail group of SCAdians who are all
Spanish personas and they were talking about the very same subject. I found
the following e-mail interesting to say the least.

Enjoy!
Maria
PS. If you would like to join this list, it's from e-groups under Medieval
Spain.

----Original Message Follows----
Diego Mundoz writes:

 > 	"Hidalgo" is usually translated as "squire".

Actually, from my  research, traditionally "hidalgo" meant that a man was
of nobility. I have never seen hidalgo translated as "squire", but always
to mean either "noble" as an adjective or "nobleman" as a noun.  This does
not necessarily mean upper nobility, but is just all-inclusive and can
included the lesser nobles as well.

For example, my husband (mundanely, not in persona terms) has so far traced
his family line back to 16th C Spain.  In books of geneaology and heraldry
his family is referred to as being hidalgo, which includes the females.
Somehow I just don't think that Dona Maria and Dona Ana were squires! ;)

At any rate, this is my own personal experience with the word.

Regards,
Aisha de Qabra