ES - Gulf War Kitchens.

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:33:13 PDT 2000

Allessandra here!

Xene once said:
>So, I would like to propose "cells" organized for
>the kitchens.  The cells can be households, or Cantons, or just groups >of
>people who like to camp together. It can also be people who eat >similar
>foodstuffs (lotsa meat vs. lotsa pasta). I recommend the cell >size to be
>20-30 adults. Prior designation and posted waterproof lists >as to who has
>which job for each meal is highly recommended (Meal >prep, clean-up, trash
>duty, etc.)

I think this organizational idea of "cells" is neat.  Last GW, Elfsea & its
Cantons had people volunteer to do 3 meals/day for almost everyday of the
war (Wednesday was the official "start" day, and Sunday was leftovers).  It
got a bit sticky at times (a few people shirked the clean up, etc) but all
in all it was good.

But Xene is right, if we tried to do this for ALL the members of the Central
Region, we'd be overrun with details, and logistic nightmares.

>Second, each cell decides what meals it will cover.  Some may want the
> >full range - Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner.  Others may want only >Dinner
>each day.

The cell also should decide who they will provide food for.  Last year, we
had the policy of allowing people from outside of the group to come in and
eat, provided that they went through a "checkpoint person".  Example: I was
the cp for our group; people who wanted to invite someone for a meal had to
clear it through me so that I would know how many would be coming for
dinner.  It helped tremendously, because we knew how hospitable we could be
for each dinner.

>Third, the Iron Lance has been recruited to fight for Ansteorra again >by
>Airiklee with the payment to be a meal for the unit.  I don't know >the
>number - maybe an extra 30 or so.  I would like to suggest that >all the
>cells do one large group dinner on Friday evening, with extra >food for the
>Iron Lance.  I can coordinate that with the cell leaders >and each group
>could bring a different part of the meal.

Cool!  That sounds great!  Can we have ice cream again?

>Fourth, many people have stated that they like the idea of a group >dining
>hall area.  Even with the different kitchen cells, we can >achieve that.
>Basically, the land could be set up like the spokes of >a wheel - like
>Washington D.C.  - with the "Commons" area in the >center and the kitchen
>cells around the perimeter.  Each group could >then extend out like the
>spokes of a wheel, with aisles demarked.   >Lady Arabella is working with
>Sir Pendaran on the land allocation for >the Central Region.  We will need
>some large pavilion for the Commons >area.

Large Pavillions?!? who has those?  How in the world are we ever going to
find.. oh wait a minute, I think I have a couple in my garage.. :] <BIIIIG
GRIN>

In all seriousness, those of us who have larger pavillions need to consider
utilizing all the space under it.  I know that our personal blue&white is
big enough to host two more adults with armor, cots and clothing (done it at
Gothic War this weekend).  We need to think about how we will best use all
the space (while maintaining privacy).

>Fifth, one of the major problems that we have encountered in the past >at
>these group kitchens are those people who do not pick up their >TRASH and
>armor.

Yech.  Perhaps with the greater numbers of people there will be greater
numbers of trash cans.  (I think this year we will be bringing one
ourselves).

>Sixth, now that I have stated my manifesto, I will step down from my
>soap-box and want to invite other ideas.  If you agree or disagree >with
>what I have said,though, please do not simply repost my message >with "No
>way" or "What she said" at the top.

I hope that I have contributed well.

Ciao,
Alessandra