ES - Italian Renn Gown for sale on E-Bay

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:21:45 PDT 2001

>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=578683829
>
>I have really taken a good look at the pics of the gown and to me it looks
>as period as one can make (though I admit I'm not expert in the Italian
>Renn. period). But she does list her documentation above the >pics.

It's not a bad gown.  Excellent quality sewing and the materials are
absolutely top quality (and authentic).  However, I interpret the picture of
the two ladies a little differently and would have designed the gown a
little differently.  (Just my POV).

>What I really like (I'm gonna do this with my *hopefully* wedding gown) is
>that she used brass rings from the upholstry section of the >fabric store.
>There has been some talk on the garb lists that this is >in fact a period
>way of lacing. I like the fact that they aren't as >ugly as grommets and
>they won't tear the fabric.

Using rings is definitely period.  There is even speculation that they are
"D" rings, with the flat side sewn down and the ring side out so that the
lace doesn't get "cut" (ie worn away by sharp edges).  I have used both
rings and holes.  Rings are easier.

Holes are period, but don't use grommets.  They are ugly and tear your
fabric.  If you do need to do holes, _DON'T CUT THE FABRIC_.  Make the holes
by moving the threads out of the way. Use a a blunt needle (large tapestry
or knitting needle) to create a "hole" in the fabric (this is easier with
looser weaves, harder on the tighter ones).  Some threads do break, but far
fewer, and then you use a buttonhole stitch around the edge.

If anyone wants any help on this, I'll be happy to demonstrate.

Sincerely
Alessandra
(I love labor intensive projects...)