[Elfsea] Re: new squire

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Mon Apr 30 15:46:14 PDT 2001

Nigel -

My name is Paul Mitchell.  In the SCA, I'm called Galen
of Bristol; I'm a Knight of the SCA (for the past 13 or
so years), and Baron of the Barony of Elfsea (the
Barony of Elfsea is the Tarrant County branch of the
Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).  As Baron, I'm
the ceremonial leader of the local group.  We also have
a large slate of administrative officers.

In medieval times, 14 was a likely age for a squire;
today in the SCA, squires are almost exclusively
adults.  For us, a squire is a fighter who has a
special relationship to a knight, to learn combat and
the other skills of knighthood.  This is a process of
years.  It took me 8 1/2 years to earn knighthood.

I joined the SCA in 1979, almost exactly 22 years ago,
just short of my 17th birthday.  I've been active in
the SCA for well over half my life and it's been a
blast.  The people are great, and the game is wonderful
fun.  Especially (you'll forgive me) in the Barony of
Elfsea.

While the SCA certainly includes members of all ages,
and entire families, it would be problematic, at best,
for a minor to join by himself.  It'd be easier when
you've learned to drive and gotten a license and a car,
but it would be best if you can interest a parent or
other adult relative.

The SCA is not played on-line.  We just use the
computers to communicate.  We really wear the costumes,
really eat the feasts, really fight each other with
sword and shield in tournaments (but the swords aren't
real -- though the armor is) really bow to our Kings
and Queens, are really inspired by our ladies.  We
really try to live our ideals of honor, courtesy, and
chivalry.  It's not a performance group, it's a
participatory group.

The SCA is an expensive hobby, solely in terms of
buying fabric for costumes, leather or metal for armor,
camping gear and so forth.  It can be played well with
remarkable economy, or you can spend a fortune on it.
I would say that the SCA is for the intelligent, and
the imaginitive.  That includes an incredibly broad
cross-section of people.  People of all sorts are in
the SCA, accountants, lawyers, business owners, auto-
mechanics, high school students, PhD's, computer
programmers, ministers, virtually any sort you can
think of, plus a few, and we participate in virtually
any fun thing you can think of that might have been
done in the middle ages, including not just combat, but
heraldry, sewing, cooking, performing, dancing, wood-
and leather- and metal-working, and much more.

And we've always got room for more nice people.

I encourage you to take Armand's advice, and come to
fighter practice at Randol Mill Park on a Sunday
afternoon, or to Camp Burnet in Southlake this
Saturday, or to the Texas Scottish Festival at UTA
Maverick Stadium; we'll be publically demonstrating
what we do there, as we have for each of the past six
or seven years.

If you do make it to any of our functions, I hope
you'll track me down -- Sir Galen of Bristol -- and
introduce yourself.

All the best,

- Galen
http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel/galen.htm

Quoting Armand Dragonetti <dragonetti at generich.com>:

> Greetings Nigel!
>
> I will pass your request on to our group's discussion
list, where I'm sure
> someone will be able to give you the answers you
seek. (As a note to those
midevil_squire at hotmail.com as he is
> not subscribed to the Elfsea List)
>
> What I can tell you is that we always have room for
more fun & enthusiastic
> people. However, only a knight of the society can
take/make a squire and
> therefore I cannot speak on their behalf. I, myself,
am a squire to Sir
> Galen of Bristol, Elfsea's current Baron. (Elfsea is
the name of the local
> group covering the Ft. Worth/Arlington area) I'm sure
he will be very
> pleased to help you however he can. My first
suggestion is to encourage you
> and your dad (or other responsible adult), to come to
one of our fighter
> practices or other group activity where you and
he/she can meet some of our
> members and gain a better understanding of what we do
and have to offer.
> Our fighter practices this month will be held every
Thursday evening at 7pm
> and every Sunday afternoon at 2pm in the southwest
section of Randol Mill
> Park in Arlington. A map can be found at:
> http://www.elfsea.org/graphics/fpmap.gif
> Directions are: Take I-30 to Fielder Rd. Turn south
on Fielder and go to
> Randol Mill, then go west on Randol Mill and look for
the park on your
> right (north side). Once in the park, take the second
left, (the 1st one
> goes to the National Guard's parking) and you'll see
us at the end of the
> path.
>
> For even more fun, you might see if you can make it
to the Canton of
> Glaslyn's event this weekend on May 5th. (Glaslyn is
the group from the
> Denton area, but their event is being held a little
closer to the
> metroplex) You can find information about that at:
> http://www.glaslyn.org/dotf.html
>
> I hope this helps and if you have more questions,
please let me know.

> At your service,
> Lord Armand Dragonetti
> Squire to Sir Galen of Bristol
> Barony of Elfsea
> Kingdom of Ansteorra

there is a place for
> me in the fortworth area barony for a squire (with
part of a suit of his
> own armor too). i dont know if my dad will let me do
this cause im 14 but i