[Elfsea] FW: [Steppes] Damascus Steel Rediscovered!!!

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Aug 14 06:18:21 PDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: steppes-admin at ansteorra.org [mailto:steppes-admin at ansteorra.org]On
Behalf Of William Duty
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 12:39 AM
To: steppes at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Steppes] Damascus Steel Rediscovered!!!

Greetings All,

I found a link to this article on Slashdot of all places. Interesting that
it shows up on a
computer geek website but the article is very interesting. It describes how
a 'country blacksmith'
and a PhD worked together to recreate Damascus Steel by hand using Period
methods. My favorite
quote, "Sometimes I'd have to tell him, `I don't care if you've got a PhD,
you don't understand
what the hell's going on here,'". Wonder how long it will be until they
start getting orders from
SCAdian smiths for bars of the stuff?

Anyway, here is the link,
http://chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0108130162aug13.story?coll=ch