ES - AOA, etc.

Estella Flather eflather at flash.net
Mon Feb 5 11:39:39 PST 2001

Greetings from Mistress Stella-
It is the priveledge and duty of ALL of us to recommend people for awards.
You must, however, provide actual ways in which they have helped the SCA,
not just say "They're a great person". A good award recommendation includes
specific examples of how the person has enriched the group, their SCA name
(spelled correctly!) so the scribe can fill out the scroll, the event you
expect them to be at. Although award recs are addressed to the Crown, you
should always send a copy to your local seneschal and Baron and Baroness in
the case of a Barony. They are usually asked to give their opinion by the
Crown and if they get a rec copy beforehand they have a better chance of
making sure they have familiarized themselves with the person, if it is not
someone they know well. It helps to get more than one recommendation, and
it is better that recommendations not come from one's "signifigant other".
If you feel someone has been working in the background and their
contributions have been missed, write a recommendation! I guarantee the B&B
and seneschal are always open to looking at people's merits.
If you have any questions about this topic please feel free to ask me. I am
always happy to give advice on how to handle these matters.
In service, HE Stella