ES - Garb for newcomers and other ideas

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:05:01 PST 2001

The reason why I would like to be able to give newcomers a piece of garb to
keep:

1) They may not own or be able to afford a sewing machine. Hand sewing takes
up alot of time. This was my situation last January, my sewing machine broke
(it was 50 years old and never been properly cared for). If it had not been
for my parents, I would not have any garb because my mom bought my sewing
machine.

2) They may not know how to sew, much less know how to thread a needle.

3) What better way of saying, "We think you are special and we would like to
see you again." ?

I like the idea of having a garb making workshop for newcomers. Gracias,
Ceinwen, for that idea! I was hoping to have newcomer classes at the local
Arlington libraries because my home is just too far away for most of Elfsea.

I think that my other ideas would work and not scare anyone off in the
process. Newcomers have the option of saying, "no" to having a person assist
them at events or let them camp with others. It's not like I'm going to say,
"Hey, you have to stay with this member all day long" or "You have to camp
with this person or group". But it would be nice, if they knew they could
find a particular person during the day and know they would have someone to
talk to or this person could introduce them to new people.

I think it would be nice to say, "I can't make it to X event and neither can
my deputy(ies), but I know this great person who can show you the ropes and
be there for you at X event" If someone had said to me at Baronial College
"would you like to dine with my family and sit with us at court?", then I
probably would not have felt so isolated and alone.

Coming to the SCA can be an overwhelming experiance (I'm still feeling this
a year later) and if we can do everything in our power to make a newcomer
feel welcome and comfortable, don't you think that it is our duty to do so?
I think so.

Maria