ES - Re: AOA thread

AerynGeil at AOL.com AerynGeil at AOL.com
Wed Feb 7 16:53:21 PST 2001

I know most of the thread has lapsed but my experience has stuck with me and
a cautionary tale never hurts.

Here goes...
In a highly political shire in a kingdom far far away a girl went to college
and joined the SCA.

My first event was at the Strong family castle (publishers out of Chicago)
and I fell in love with the dream.  Then I went to a business meeting where
too many adults acted like children -- but the dream was strong and I went to
another event.  I helped cut vegetables in the kitchen and someone fed me
Baklava!!!.  The hook to go and play, especially to volunteer in a kitchen,
was set.

A new person came to the shire -- only later did we find out he had a PAST in
another kingdom -- he thought the WAY to power was to bind people to him
using awards.

I was not at the event where Ealasaid received her AOA - someone handed me
the paper at the end of a business meeting with no words.  The dream became
nightmarish for a while - I did not think I had earned the award.  There was
dust in my mouth at the mention of politics and awards.

Soon - bless THEM all - I moved to Ansteorra's savage border.  The people
there loved the dream as much as I did.  A few years later Ealasaid was
called into court to receive her Comet.  I told the crown I would do my best
to be worthy of that award as I finally felt I had earned my AOA.

Bless them too that they had the sense to point out to me the things I had
done to earn the Comet - And the dream was bright again.

The people of Ansteorra deserve great credit that politics is played only a
little here and most people are willing to speak out when they see a good
thing happening.

In service to the dream for love and respect of it.

Lady Ealasaid Mac alBhaird  called Aeryn