ES - FW: North Texas Irish Festival Demo

Bryan & Michelle Hanson bmhanson at airmail.net
Thu Feb 8 18:22:05 PST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From:	Bryan & Michelle Hanson [SMTP:bmhanson at airmail.net]
Sent:	Thursday, February 08, 2001 8:18 PM
To:	'ansteorra-announce at ansteorra.org'
Subject:	North Texas Irish Festival Demo

Greetings to the list from Ly Margarite McBridin.
The Barony of Steppes is hosting a demo at the North Texas Irish Festival
on March 3 & 4, 2001.  This promises to be one of the most beneficial
demos, not only for Steppes, Elfsea, and their Cantons and Colleges in
particular, but for the Central region and the SCA in general.

If you are interested, please email me at bmhanson at airmail.net or call me
at 972-245-5692.  I prefer e-mails if at all possible.  Please read on....

We are in need of several (lots and lots!!) volunteers to help run the
demo.  There are several ways you can participate in the demo:
	Fighters - both heavy and light
	Static A & S displays - books, arts, etc.
	Live A & S demos - weaving, spinning, dyeing, chain mail making, metal
work, leather work, woodworking, etc.
	and the ever-present, ever-necessary
		Meeters & Greeters
I will also be trying to arrange some MOC activities.
When volunteering to work the demo, please send me your mundane name, SCA
name, email address (if possible), phone, day (Sat or Sun), time(full day,
half day, PAID - 4 hrs, etc) that you wish to work the demo, and what area
you would like to be in.  Saying that you would like to do a live A & S
demo does not mean you cannot shift into another area as well; so, if you
fall into more than one area, please let me know.

The hours of the demo are:
	Sat - March 3 from 10:30 AM until dark (park closes at 10:30 PM).
	Sun - March 4 from 11:30 AM until dark (park closes at 8:30 PM).
After the demo has closed you may feel free to stay and enjoy the
Festival's entertainments.

We are limited on the number of volunteer passes we have but there are
several other ways for you to enter into the Festival.
1.  You can purchase entry into the Festival.  If this is your option,
please be aware that you will asked to work at least 4 hours the day of
your entry (if you choose to sign up for the demo).  You may work this 4
hours in one of two ways:  as a 4 hour shift entire or as two 2 hour
shifts.  After that your time is your own, with our blessing and thanks.
The cost of tickets is as follows:
	$11.00 a day or $17.00 for 2-day pass.  There is a $2.00 discount for
students and seniors.  Children under 12 and 	handicapped individuals are
free.
2.  You can gain free entry for one day if you would like to volunteer to
work a 3-hour shift for the Festival.  Also for every 3 hour shift you work
(the Festival), you will receive a free beverage of your choice at the
Festival.  If you work two or more 3 hour shifts (for the Festival), you
will get free admission to the Festival both days and a free NTIF souvenir
T-shirt.
Listed below are the areas in which the Festival needs volunteers.  Please
help them out if at all possible.  To register as a Festival volunteer,
please visit their website at www.ntif.org and click on the volunteer link.
	Admissions - The all-important ticket sales. Lots of folks needed here.
	Beer - Volunteers are needed to pour beer. You need to be TABC certified
<http://www.tabss.com> for this (we pay for the training). Also, you need
to be 21 or over.
	Finance - We always need people to help count money.
	Hospitality - Maintain the performers' hospitality/dressing area.
	Instrument Check-In - Performers check their instruments into a secure
room when they are not performing.
	Main Office - Mostly this involves answering the phone during the
Festival.
	Operations - Set-up before the Festival and tear-down on the Monday after
the Festival.
	Performers' Products Sales - We set up a booth where our performers'
products are for sale - tapes, CDs, shirts, etc.
	Sound Technicians will also be needed to help run sound equipment. Special
training will be provided.
	Souvenir T-shirt Sales - This is usually a combination T-shirt
sales/Information Booth. Sometimes programs are also sold at this booth.
	Stage Managers - announce the acts, take care of wants and needs of the
performers, get them on and off the stage on time.
	Transportation - Drivers are needed for our courtesy vans which take
performers to and from the airport, hotel, and Festival grounds. Must be a
licensed driver, over 21 for this.
	Urchin Street - This area is devoted to children. Helpers are needed for
arts and crafts for the kids.
	Vendors - help log in vendors and get them set up.
	Volunteer Area - Log in volunteers and pass out their souvenir shirts.
3.  You can get one of the available passes.  However, due to the limited
number and non-transferability of these passes, priority will be given to
those who can work a full day.  Those who would like to be considered for a
half-day shift will be placed on a waiting list which will be used should
extra passes become available.   Children under 12 and handicapped
individuals (who can enter the Festival free of admission) do not require
one of these passes.

If you are interested, please email me at bmhanson at airmail.net or call me
at 972-245-5692.  I prefer e-mails if at all possible.  Once I have you
listed as a demo volunteer, I will respond to you and let you know.
Please pass this on to our brothers and sisters who not list-enabled as
they too may be interested.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing you all at the demo.