ES - Policy on supervision of children at Elfsea events

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon Feb 12 13:21:14 PST 2001

The Pythian Home has informed us that several of our
children caused damage to the playground and children’s
bikes. They did not have permission to be on the playground
or the bikes. The Pythian Home staff asked them to leave
and they either refused or ignored the staff.

The Barony is responsible for any damage to a site we rent.
We will be repairing or replacing the fort West of the
playground, two toddler bikes, and a swing. This will
take manpower and money that could be better spent
preparing for the Gulf War.

The policy of the SCA and the Barony of Elfsea does not
allow unsupervised children at an event. The parents are
responsible for the behavior of their children and must
see they are supervised at all times. A parent may hire a
babysitter, take turns with other adults supervising a group
of kids, entrust their children to MOC programs when they are
provided, or watch the children themselves.  But no child
may be left unsupervised. This is as much for the safety
of the child as to prevent mischief.

In the future, the autocrat or seneschal will return
unsupervised children to their parents.  If the policy
is further violated, the adults and children will be
asked to leave the site. If anyone finds an unsupervised
child, they should take the child to the autocrat or
seneschal. Any damage caused by children will be the
responsibility of their parents.

Caelin on Andrede
Seneschal to Lord and Lady Elfsea

P.S. I could use a volunteer(s) to go out to the Pythian Home and
examine the damage to determine whether we should replace or
fix things and what parts are required. Please email me directly
at seneschal at elfsea.ansteorra.org.