Pages -- Was --> ES - Children at events

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 12:13:44 PST 2001

Hola, Medb!

>We do have existing programs for the youth interesting in fighting.  >There
>is a boffer program, a youth rapier program, and I have never >seen a youth
>excluded from archery shoots.  To my limited knowledge, >each has a
>kingdom, regional and local level officer.

<Much Snippage>

True. We do have a program designed to *teach* the children about the sports
aspect of our game. The page program I am referring to would be designed as
such...

A child/teen would be assigned a fighter/archer (who volunteered). This
child would be given the responsibility of helping the fighter with his
armor and weapons (ie. help him to and from the field, help him into his
armour, etc.) and the said child would be responsible for water-bearing said
fighter.

In return, the fighter would teach the child about safety, chivalry and
other aspects not usually covered by fighter practice. The fighter by doing
so can teach the child so much more than mom or dad. Why? Point
blank...children don't listen to their parents as much as they would, if it
came from someone they admired.

For the parent's part, they would be required to retrieve their child when
the fighter requests it (for whatever reason) and be a supportive part of
this program. In other words, it would not be a baby-sitting program.

Of course I'm sure, we could add other rules to the program, but you get
what I mean.

Ryan worships the ground that our fighters (especially heavy) walk on and
wants so much to be part of the fighter crowd. He can't fight right now
because we have no youth boffer marshall. I was and am eternally grateful
that Don Duncan took Ryan under his wings at Lughnasad and let him help with
his gear. I had a little boy walking on cloud 9 all day.

Ryan is not the only child out there who is so eager to help and we need to
do something other than (basically) stick them in a corner all day. If we
don't do something, their interest will die and we could lose a potential
member of the SCA that will someday make our Kingdom and Barony very proud.

I am very willing to start this program.

Maria