ES - A Final Report on Tanglewood

Tim Rayburn tim.rayburn at webmodal.com
Tue Feb 20 12:53:57 PST 2001

Greetings Elfsea,

This last weekend, after days of rain the week before, Fearghus, Honour,
Rixende, and I all visited the Tanglewood Forest site.  I will leave to
others their own reports, but I thought I would share some information with
you.

The fighting field remains in excellent form.  They have not placed down the
grass yet, but they will I've been assured.  Even without it, the ground on
the fighting field was more than firm enough to support fighting.

The owner has recieved funding from a bank to develop the wooden pavilion
over their 'feast' area (roughly 40x70) and to build a bathhouse on the site
with flush toilets and showers.  These will not be done for Springfaire, but
should be done shortly there after.  They are seeking a professional
contractor to build these structures.  If you know of someone who could
handle this (including getting a foundation poured for the bathhouse) then
contact me and I will get them in touch with the individual.  Included in
these improvements obviously will be bringing the water further into the
site and to more than 1 location.

As a suprise when we arrived was that they have begun building a new
building on site that will serve as first aid station.  Our chirurgeons will
have a location to take people, out of the sun, and the bustle, to treat
them, or organize whatever activities they need to.  This will be a water
location eventually, but is not currently (ie, not by Springfaire).

The Amtgard Kingdom has an inter-kingdom event scheduled for the site in
October (their Kingdoms are roughly equal to our Baronies).  By this event
they hope to have a Castle errected on the site for Melees.  This will be
available to us should we have a desire to use the site again after that
time-period.

The only part of Lord Fearghus' comments that I will share concern handicap
mobility.  From his statements to me, with his scooter he will have no
problems getting around the site.  During his visit he was only in his wheel
chair, and while the sand and unpacked ground were to soft to make it easy
for him to move himself, the packed areas were not a problem at all.  This
means that all the roads (which are packed) will not be a problem.  On the
unpacked areas, a little assistance from Honour and I got him moving without
a problem.  These are my understandings of his experiences, and I welcome
anyone with concerns to raise them and I am sure he will give you an
opinion.

Timothy of Glastonbury
Steward for Elfsea Springfaire

PS : As no one decided to make the trip to the site and clear an extra
campsite for their household/group, there will be no reserved camping at
Springfaire except for the stewards encampment, and the Crown's encampment.
There will be an area, on the back part of the large field, that will be for
period pavilions only.  This camping will be limited, will be first come
first serve, and will be adjacent to most of the fighting areas and the
Crown encampment.