ES - Page/Mentor Program

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 15:52:22 PST 2001

Buenos Dias!

Ok. I told you I'm Ms. Persistant.  Geez...I feel like a dog with a bone!
:-)

Back to the this page program. I want to let you know what my ideas are. If
you don't think it will work, tell me how you think I could change it to
make it work. Remember, I'm still in the brain-storming area of this plan.
Before you hit the "Reply" button, please read this twice...it's amazing
what you miss on a first read-over:

Purpose: To allow all members a chance to learn in depth a skill or art with
another member who is willing and able to share their expertise on a
subject.

Definitions:
         Mentor --  the teacher
         Page -- the student
         MOP -- Minister of Pages

Eligible persons:
         Mentor -- should have some degree of knowledge in said area
           they are willing to teach, prefer age 18 or above;
         Page -- should be willing to learn from Mentor, any age may
           apply.

Subjects: Any art form or sport may be taught (ie. Chivalric fighting,
Rapier fighting, Archery, embroidery, enameling, illiumination, etc.)

Application process:
         Mentor -- Tells MOP what subject(s) they would like to teach,
          appoximately how long the lesson could last (if applicable),
          age group desired, a tentative schedule of when they would
          like to instruct, and any other restrictions or information
          that might pertinant
         Page (or parent of Page)-- Tells MOP what subject(s) they would
          like to learn, a tentative schedule of when they would like to
          learn, and any other restrictions or information that
          might pertinant
         MOP -- Keeps a database of Pages and Mentors and does his/her
          best to match the Page to the Mentor according to what each
          want. Contacts the Mentor when a match occurs and gets
          approval from Mentor, then contacts Page (Page's parents) and
          gets approval from Page (Page's parents). MOP gives Page's
          basic contact information to Mentor and Mentor's basic contact
          information to Page (or Page's parents).

Guidlelines:
       1) Should Page be a minor (under 18), the parent must stay with
          the Page during his/her lessons, unless otherwise differently
          agreed upon by parent(s) and Mentor.
       2) Page/Page's Parent's or Mentor may discontinue the
          relationship for whatever reason.

Ok, this is all I have for now, but it's a pretty good start. I like to
think of this plan like a temporary service that most companies and
corporations use nowadays to find new employees.

I think that if executed properly, that this would be a great program for
not just newcomers and/or their children, but people that have been in the
society and would like to learn something new, but don't know **who** to
ask. Also, I think that this might really work good with fighter practice
and A&S night.

Maria