ES - Staying warm - More bable from the Canuck

Wilim Penbras wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Wed Feb 28 10:53:38 PST 2001

Good Day All,
     We're back on the topic being prepared for the cold.  Well,  I won't go over any qualifications to talk on the subject because this will be my first War.  As I short hint though, Canadian Boy Scout = Be Prepared + Cold. :)

     Did you know your body has already decided for you what bits of it are important and the fact that you might be fond of some of the 'unimportant' bits doesn't make a bit of difference to it.  Your body is general worried about core temperature.  While I like to keep my Canadian core at 37degrees apparently people from the states are hot blooded as they like 98.6.  As long as your core is near there then you're okay.
     Once your core is in danger of dropping too far below that your body starts conserving blood/heat for warming the core.  It actually closes off blood flow to the extremities so it can be used at the core.  That brings me to my first point.  Do you want your head to be considered one of the unimportant bits?  Even a bad hat will conserve an obscene amount of heat.  Something on the order of 50% or more of your bodyheat is lost through the head.  A hat will hold that in and make your blood work smarter.
     Your hands are the next place that you need to worry about.  Not that a lot of heat is lost through them but that they are deemed unimportant.  Anyone who thinks that opposable thumb is one of the great gifts to man,  well  your body will give it up to keep your heart and brain working.  Use mittens folx.  Being able to move those fingers inside the mitten and generate a nice pocket of warm air helps immensely.  Gloves may be easier to do things in but they also have a signifigantly larger surface area exposed to the cold outside air.  A pair of combination mitten/gloves is good if you know you have to work.
     If you want to be able to work without hand protection, don't.  IF you NEED to be able to work without hand protection then have a hat and a really good pair of boots.  When it comes to feet there are a few things to keep in mind.  Sweat socks.  Your feet will sweat and then your pretty much out of luck.  Sweat socks will absorb the sweat better than most other types of socks.  Over that I would usually put wool socks.  Most of us know wool is fantastic.  In real terms wool is as good as most anything out there for warmth when dry and wet wool beats Wet Anything Else for warmth retention.  Keep this in mind when you by boots.
     Layers, Layers, Layers.  Enough said?
     I'm not sure if it's an issue at Gulf War but shower in warm shower not hot.  A hot shower is fantastic.  It opens your pores and really gets you nice and clean.  I'm here to tell you  you almost want to go with as cold as you can stand. Don't open your pores wide open.  Just scrub a little longer.  If you open your pores and then go into the cold you'll get all that nice cold air sucked into any exposed pores.  If you want to have a HOT shower,  get yourself a nice rubberized rain suit or something that will keep all of the heat from the shower in and minimize exposed pores.  Something that might be nice and toasty otherwise will seem awfully thin when you're damp and all the blood has rushed to the surface after a hot shower.
     Change your undergarments.  You may be used to changing them in the morning but whether you know it or not they've got sweat in them and they WILL get cold.  A pair of fresh undies even if they're cold from your luggage will keep you warmer than a pair that you've worn all day.  Same for socks.  Oh yeah,  Just because your not outside doesn't mean your head isn't still costing you 50% of your body heat every hour.  This is where we can where those ugly hats we'd never were in public.  Just make sure it's snug enough not come off in the middle of the night.
  A hot water bottle, rechargable hand warmer type thingie,  Hot brick,  Whatever... Put it under the covers while you get undressed,  make that 'while you get changed into your night clothes'.  If you're going to have a space heater turn it on too and either place it close enough to turn off from bed or make sure to turn it off regardless.  If you are lucky enough to be able to place it close to the bed then you can also turn it on when you wake up before getting out of bed.  Put your fresh underclothes for the morning under your pillow to help keep them warm for the morning.
     Okay,  you survived your first full day and night at War.  Open up that bed.  Change the bed linens as often as possible but if nothing else let it air out while you go have fun.  (Just check it for creepy crawlies before tucking in.)

Keep Moving, Stay Warm, Have Fun,
     Wilim Penbras