ES - Children at events

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 13:51:44 PST 2001

>We are currently builiding a box of toys that will be only used for travel
>and events. Some suggestions ...

<snip>
Excellent ideas!  You can even get books with stories from the Middle Ages.
And some music is period, or at least you could do campfire songs (which
have a nice "feel" to them).

>Oh! I like that idea! Now I just need to get Phelippe in gear and register
>his arms.

You can also use yours!  Don't forget!

>How about 1 step further? If you put your child into CA, then you must
>volunteer an hour of your time? Has this ever been done?

I don't know how successful it is.  If you have someone who is a single
parent and wants to do a particular activity (ie fighting), it can be
difficult to schedule when you will be free.

>>4. Hiring a Babysitter/Nanny/Au Pair
>
>Not always an option.

No it isn't, but for those who can/do, they really ought to be standing up
for them because often they are young enough that they feel uncomfortable
standing on their own.

>I will admit that there was a very lovely young lady at Defender that came
>to my aid.

I think that is great.  And sometimes that is all that is needed.  But
sometimes such situations become awkward because someone (not necessarily
the original parent) abuses the situation.

>I not only gave her my heart-felt thanks, but told her mother and father
>how very grateful I was that she helped me. Why is it such a >problem to
>say thank you to someone who has helped you make your day a >little easier?

I don't think people intend to forget.  In fact if they were able to turn
around and immediately find the parent of that "wunderkind" you'd hear how
incredibly courteous children in the SCA are.

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions Maria.

Alessandra