ES - Children at events

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon Feb 19 16:33:20 PST 2001

Thank you for that correction. Since the Marshals control the field,
whatever criteria they wish to use is law. And this one makes some
sense. When a Marshal allows someone on his or her field, he/she
takes responsibility (though not necessarily legal liability - see
your waiver) for that person's safety. If they want a person who
enters a field during a hold to have had a basic safety class, it
certainly makes sense.

I was basing my answer on a discussion on the waterbearer's list
that is SCA wide. The Chirurgeon general and the SCA Earl Marshal
had said that there was no age limit. I thought they also said there
was no non-combat restriction at the SCA level, but Kingdoms could
add their own. I just checked the kingdom manual and it is clearly
there.

Caelin