ES - Shooting the Duck....

SiobhanON at AOL.com SiobhanON at AOL.com
Tue Feb 20 15:24:55 PST 2001

    I don't usually address the list. I read other (more vocal) people's
ideas and consider them. I understand how you feel. I joined three years ago
and remember what it is like to be new. As a general rule, we don't usually
have a serious problem with the children. Most parents are vigilant and there
are few real problems. However, when something like the pythian home happens,
many people want to address the issue, in a positive and negative manner. I
have not seen any ideas that seem all that new or innovative to me. Sometimes
brainstorming produces a really good idea that we grab and run with, but I
don't see that we need to make any major changes in the way we usually handle
our children. We got lax at the pythian home, it was a new environment,
someone's private home. We will do better next time. As for the rest of it,
parents need to continue to work with their children (I think most of them
are doing a great job) and use this expedience as a teaching tool. My child
has learned to be less selfish and demanding, thanks to playing with the SCA,
and I hope she will learn the true meaning of Chivalry. Keep coming up with
ideas, but expect with such a large established group, a few of your ideas
will be embraced and others will not, at this time. No one person has all the
answers but bits and pieces of ideas can make a great solution. I don't think
anyone wants to shoot the duck, they just want to talk about it. We should
excercise patience and caution.
Siobhan

In a message dated 2/20/01 2:03:36 PM Central Standard Time,