ES - Hospitaller stuff

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 12:26:26 PST 2001

I would first like to see the completed copy of the SCA handout that will be
printed for the NTIF. This is a good basic starter flyer. From what I
remember seeing, it has my information as Hospitaler, as well as, the
Steppes Hospitaler information on it.

I would like to compose a "newbie" packet to give or mail to new members. I
understand Violet's predicament. I, too didn't know a soul last January when
I came to my first meeting. I have to say it was really scary walking into a
room full of people I didn't know and they were talking in language I didn't
understand (What on earth is garb?? What is a Pelican?, etc, etc.).

I was thinking that this packet could consist of a mini-dictionary; where to
get good deals on fabric; how to make a simple t-tunic; where to get feast
gear with it costing an arm and leg; things you can do at a tournament, if
you aren't fighting; etc.  (I'm open to any ideas for content)

Other thoughts...

1) Could we just give a simple t-tunic to new members to keep, just to get
them started? I know after War is over that some do not use thier old tunics
again and they are going to waste in someone's closet. Could we set up a
cloth budget to buy material for tunics for new people? The reason why I
ask, getting started in the SCA can be expensive for those on a strict
budget and a simple thing like a piece of garb can convey to the new person
that they are in fact welcome.

2) Going to a weekend event can be scary, if you don't know anyone. If it
wasn't for Phelippe, who graciously offered for me to camp with him, I would
not have come to Springfaire. Could we somehow set up a group of folks who
would be willing to take a new person with them or allow them to camp with
them, if the Hospitaler can't make that event?

3) Could we get volunteers to help stay with a new person when they attend
their first event, if the Hospitaler can't make that event? Baronial College
was my first event last year. I felt very alone all day. When it came to
feast time, I about near cried. I looked around and everyone had such lovely
tables. All I had was a simple pie plate for a plate, my tankard and a fork.
Everyone was sitting around enjoying the conversation of people they had not
seen in a while while sitting at a very pretty table with very pretty feast
gear. I on the other hand was desperately trying to find a seat. I nervously
asked Siobhan (whom I didn't know), if I could sit with her family, but I
felt like I was intruding on her family's dinner time. At court that
evening, I was one of the first people in the hall. When court started, I
was the only one sitting on that row while there were quite a few people
standing at the back of the room. Arabella (I met her breifly during her
t-tunic class that day) got to sit next to me for a few minutes and it was
then that I didn't feel like such a pariah. I know that at events we see
poeple we haven't seen in a long time and it's a great time to play catch
up. But, if we could stay near that person all day or that person knew they
would have a seat at dinner time with someone they partially know or have
someone there to explain what was going on in court, I think that it would
make their transition a bit easier.

On a side note, Phelippe and I have been toying with the idea of starting a
household or giuld whose main purpose would be to work closely with the
Hospitaler and help him/her with making the new person feel warm and welcome
into our society. We were thinking that this household could do those things
I outlined above.

Sorry this was so long. These are some of my thoughts with helping
newcomers.

Maria

-----
Maria, Terric, I'm seeing a lot of interest in your
line of work these days.  What wonderful things do you
two suppose could be accomplished between now and, oh,
the Scottish Festival (for which we still need an
organizer), with such talented and energetic people to
help?  Enthusiasm is a terrible thing to waste.

- Galen Elfsea