ES - Garb for newcomers and other ideas

Wilim Penbras wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Wed Feb 28 13:35:04 PST 2001

Hate to be the bearer of bad news,  Can't even give a newcomer a t-tunic.  Donations to an office are okay, like giving loaner garb to the hospitilar's office.  But using baronial funds on something like a t-tunic to give to single person is questionable.  Giving someone a flyer or a business card, especially when they are donated specifically for that purpose is fine but spending cash on anything that doesn't directly benifit the entire group is a no-no.
As to the other ideas,  they're good but be careful not to over-organize.  Timothy's probably right about scaring people off.  Make sure they know you're available to answer any questions,  and invite them to camp with the group and make sure they have a seat for feast and such but after that let them loose.
Some people will wander arround the mall for hours without checking the maps to see where the store they want is located.  The hospitilar's office is there to make sure the people that are wandering lost don't have to but that the people that are just wandering are allowed to wander.
I've never really thought about the hospitilars office as a place to go for Answers to Questions.  The hospitilar is the person I go to for Directions to the right person to ask for answers to questions.  That's why I just about every activity has a person in charge of it.  The hospitilar isn't expected to know everything about everything just who knows most things about something.

So were still left with question of how to make newcomers feel welcome. That's everyone's job but the hospitilar/Deputy's speciality.  Make sure they know who you are and that they can come to you for direction.  After that they need to be left to work things out for themselves until the ask for more direction.

In Service,
     Wilim Penbras

Post Script:  If asked more speficic questions about how to deal with newcomer issues I can probably come up with more/better detailed answers as I and my lady wife are still less than a year in the Society.  As to retaining a higher percantage of those that express an interest,  I simply think the nature of the beast is that only about 10% of those that ask will ever come out to play and maybe half of those will ever come back.