ES - AOA, etc

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 07:42:24 PST 2001

>From: Alfredo Dulles <lord_alfredo_dulles at yahoo.com>
>
>So I was wondering, what does it take to earn an Award
>of Arms in the Society?  I know its the first award
>anybody ever receives, but how does a body get it?

Dear Alfredo,

It takes many different things to earn an Award of Arms in the Society.  I
am happy for Padraig's answer, he is correct that it
takes RECOGNITION to be recommended.

But I am also interested in why you have asked this question.  Are
you trying to learn an appropriate answer to tell people who are
unfamiliar with our organization?  Or trying to advise someone about
how to earn an AoA?  Are you asking this on a wider scale, see what
differences there are from kingdom to kingdom?

An Award of Arms here in Ansteorra (and that is the only experience I have)
is usually earned within the first few years of regular service in our
Society.  Some fall through the cracks (like Donnell) and some do "stick
their foot in it" and it takes them a while to "recover".  But I think a
majority of them, come in, fall in love with this hobby of ours, and do
everything that they can to promote the magic that they feel.  They become
excellent contributing members, either through service, or their arts, or
even sometimes their excellent fighting skills, or even a combination of
these.  They do this not because they know that it will give them rank, but
because they want to be worthy of that rank.

I find the whole situation of "how to earn awards" rather odd.  But I find
that it is best to approach it with the attitude of "I would like to be able
to bear the responsibilities of (a knight, pelican, laurel, Don) and be
recognized having the qualities of a (laurel, knight, Don or pelican)."  I
think it is healthier than the idea of "I want knighthood or to be a
pelican" (although it might be considered an "abbreviation" of the previous
statements).

I know that I'm going on (and on, and on - :) but I hope that I am
clarifying points for you, as well as some of the attitudes you have
encountered on the list.  If you (or anyone) wishes to have clearer
understanding of my ideas, please contact me privately.

Sincerely,
Alessandra Desiderio
Baroness of Elfsea

allessandre at hotmail.com