ES - AOA, etc.

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Mon Feb 5 08:42:25 PST 2001

There have been some excellent posts on this thread,
Padraig, Innes, Allessandra, Willim, Raimond; I hope
this begins to be an answer to the original poster.

I wanted to reply to the post below:

Quoting Jarred Hibbins <jhibbins at excite.com>:

> While that may be the sentiment, Raimond, its been my
> observation that people can go for _years_ without
> the recognition they deserve.  I hate to bring up
> the "P" word, but politics plays a big role in any
> award in the Society.
>
> Jarred H.

Jarred, I can't dispute that sometimes people don't get
the recognition they should, nor can I deny the painful
effects of badly-done political manuevering.  That
said, if you know of someone presently working for the
benefit of Elfsea without proper recognition, I hope
you'll contact me privately.  This is an excellent time
to begin drafting award recommendations for Spring
Faire; and as I'm sure you know, anyone may recommend
someone for any award.  If you copy me on your letter
to the Crown, I'll be better able to advise the Crown
when (not if) they ask my opinion about your
recommendations.  And if someone deserves an award
within the power of the Baron/ess to give, definitely
contact us privately about it.

My personal take on awards is that we give awards not
because you deserve them, or because you want them, or
because you're our friend.  We give awards because the
SCA has a need for your efforts to be held up as an
example to others.  Every award is, in some sense, the
Crown or Coronet saying "play like this person does".

The SCA is a unique opportunity for us to attempt to
live up to our ideals.  And have fun doing it.  I've
never seen anybody who was having fun attempting to
live up to their ideals fail to also, coincidently, get
awards.

But keep in mind also that while there are no hard and
fast rules, it's rare to get an Award of Arms in less
then a year, or a peerage in less than five or six
years.

- Galen, Baron of Elfsea