ES - re: ANST - Lord Martin Hart of Wells passes on

DonValentyn at AOL.com DonValentyn at AOL.com
Mon Feb 5 09:12:06 PST 2001

Good morning,

Since I haven't posted anything on Elfsea-net in months, I'm going to happily
hog a little bandwidth to share my own recollection of Martin Hart of Wells.
The short story is, Martin had the heart of a Lion, Knight, Don, Pelican, or
whatever other station you can think of.  He also passed on a great tradition
to some of us that I think the rest of Elfsea will appreciate:

When I was an SCA newbie (1990-91) in the Shadowlands, Martin live a few
hours away, in Bryn Gwald.  A few of us Shadowlanders drove on occasion to
Bryn Gwald for fighter practice, and Martin made it a point to spend his
evening teach us to fight.  Many of us were college students, had little
money, no transportation, and not a lot of resources.  On more than one
occasion Martin drove hours out of his way to pick some of us up for events.

He also made weekend trips up just to take us starving college students out
to dinner.  I don't know how many weekends Martin spent with us, playing
games, practicing fighting, and treating us to something other than Ramen and
tuna.  Whenever someone tried to back out because we couldn't pay for
ourselves Martin would say: "Don't worry about it.  I was in your boots once,
but now I've got a decent job and I can afford to take you guys out to eat.
I'm happy to spend my money this way, as long as you guys do the same thing
for someone else when you're able."

A lot of the things he did for us were "little acts", but when you add them
all up, Martin was a major force keeping some of us newcomers in the SCA.
Even more important, he was the living example of a true friend.  We sure
were lucky to have him pass through our lives.

Valentyn