ES - Site for Springfaire

Fearghus lordfearghus at home.com
Sat Feb 17 19:15:33 PST 2001

I too visited the site for Springfaire today. While I was one of the
skeptical people about the viability of using this site, I am now a convert.
With all of the rain that we have had this week, the main roads through the
site had drained very well. There was no danger of getting stuck if you
stayed on the road.

 In the area that Timothy has designated to be used for court and feast, and
the area for the merchants, the ground was hard packed sand and gravel rock.
I was able to navigate this area in my wheelchair with little difficulty and
my scooter would have no problem at all. The owners have cleared a lot of
camping areas and the areas we will be using for the list field could hold a
small melee.

While there were areas of standing water, for the most part the property
seems to drain very well and unless we get a weeks worth of the "R" word
before the event it should be no problem even if we receive any , uh, you
know what I am talking about during the event.

One draw back, by no means a show stopper, the roads are only wide enough
for one vehicle at a time, so when people get on site they will need to
unload their camp items and move their cars before actually setting up camp.
This will require the constables for the event to act as traffic cops more
than security. For an event larger than Springfaire parking would be a
problem with the current conditions but I expect as they clear and develop
more of the property there will be more parking.

They were working today building foot bridges across areas that held water
and were building an enclosed building to be used as a first aid station.
Yes our chirurgeons will have their own little hospital. For the Archers
this will be a refreshing set up. As it stands the archery range will be
directly behind the baronial pavilion. This will keep us in the main stream
of what is happening at the event.

Over all I was really impressed and I think the positives definitely
outweigh the negatives. I see great potential for this site to not only be
utilized by our group, but other SCA groups that are just as close if not
closer than we are. Tim you did good in finding this site and forgive me for
being skeptical.

In service to my barony,
Fearghus