ES - Children at events

Julie Self julie_self at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 18 17:21:41 PST 2001

  I am a mother and grandmother who has taken at least one child to an event
at one time or another.  I have found that there are some events/activities
that are just not appropriate for children.  For instance, who can expect
most children to play quietly when their parents aren't paying attention
because they are taking or teaching a class or are out on the field
fighting, marshalling or waterbearing.  THINK PEOPLE!  If you can't (or
won't) watch your own kid/kids, why would anyone else want to unless it is
for the specific time frame set up for childrens' activities?  I love my
grandkids, but they do not go with me regularly because I usually do not
have the time to supervise them properly and wouldn't burden anyone else.
  If you can't afford a sitter to keep your children for an 'adult' event,
maybe you should try to get instruction, in your area of interest, at
another time.  I have found that in the SCA, most people will try to help
instruct you personally if you can find a good time for both to get
together.
  Also, there seem to be a lot of teens at events that may be willing to sit
for you at a more nominal rate than you would pay a mundane sitter.  Has
anyone ever tried something like this, and, if so, how did it work out?
Gwenllian Hertewelle