ES - Children at events

housedragonstar housedragonstar at prodigy.net
Mon Feb 19 09:37:15 PST 2001

Maria,

We do have existing programs for the youth interesting in fighting.  There
is a boffer program, a youth rapier program, and I have never seen a youth
excluded from archery shoots.  To my limited knowledge, each has a kingdom,
regional and local level officer.

If gently guided, (that is to say told by their parents), these youths often
make excellent water- bearers at events - Alexander has been doing this off
and on for about three years now, when he is not dealing with his younger
sister or walking a dog.

I agree with Darius that "page" is an appropriate term.  Very often, in
noble feudal families, children were fostered out to other families for a
number of political reasons and very often, they were referred to as pages.
If we were to "foster" our children, then we get the advantage of them being
on their better behavior for a time, and they would actually get a chance to
participate in the game that we play.  Thus the term would be period correct
and in line with the other terminology we use.

Something else we might consider doing is involving them in our activities
in a more adult way.  I was VERY surprised at College when Alexander and I
spent the day together and didn't have one tense moment.  I had a chance to
teach him how to hold a chef's knife, how to slice cucumbers, and how to
chop chicken.  Taking our tween's to classes with us, giving them an inkle
loom, or outfitting them with boffer or rapier gear will give them some
focus.  I even know of a young man who used to brew up his own root beer.

We have all the tools, programs, outlets we need.  We just need to use them.

I would say it just's my 2 cents' worth, but I think I have something more
like a quarter here....

Medb Liath