ES - Garb for newcomers and other ideas

Padraig Ruad padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Wed Feb 28 14:28:36 PST 2001

>Hate to be the bearer of bad news,  Can't even give a newcomer
>a t-tunic.  Donations to an office are okay, like giving
>loaner garb to the hospitilar's office.  But using baronial
>funds on something like a t-tunic to give to single person is
>questionable.  Giving someone a flyer or a business card,
>especially when they are donated specifically for that purpose
>is fine but spending cash on anything that doesn't directly >benifit the entire group is a no-no.

This depends greatly on whether the items in questions were made or purchased using Baronial funds.  As long as a donor is made aware that the items they are donating may be passed along, there should be no problem.  To make Maria's suggestion workable would require individuals making and donating garb to the Hospitaler's Chest expressly for this purpose, with no involvement of Baronial funds.  Loch Ruadh's Hospitaler's Chest has always been supplied entirely by donation, and we don't worry about getting the items we loan out back.

On other matters, I believe that everyone should consider themselves to be an unofficial Deputy Hospitaler.  Don't know everything about the SCA?  Don't worry about it - you know more than the newcomer does, and at the very least you probably know who to introduce them to for them to get the information they are looking for.  If someone looks lost, introduce yourself and ask if you can be of assistance.  Invite new folk to sit with you at feast, at Court, at the list field, etc.  I've never met a Scadian yet who doesn't like to talk about our hobby, and usually at great length.

If anyone is interested in it, I have the newcomers guide that we used to hand out at SCA 101 meetings.  Some of the information may be out of date, and certainly there could be more information added, but it does have a lot of good facts.  Having said that, I'm going to have to go back through a lot of old diskettes to find it, but I should be able to sort it out in a day or two.

Padraig