ES - Garb for newcomers and other ideas

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Wed Feb 28 20:51:31 PST 2001

In a way, this is as much an issue for the Seneschal as for the Hospitaler. At just about any event (even for another SCA group's event), I watch for people who are in mundane clothing who stop to watch. I either go to them and tell them who we are and what we do or send an emissary if I cannot go.

I start with who we are: "Hi! We are members of the Society for Creative Anachronism. We recreate the middle ages." I move on to some of the things we do: "We do full armored combat (King Arthur's Knights), rapier combat (Three Musketeers), archery, and siege weapons. We also learn how to make clothing that is like that worn in the middle ages, do blacksmithing, craft intricate metal items like crowns and chains, and much more." They generally ask questions. I tell them when we meet for fighter practice, moot, and business meetings. I tell them how to find web information on the SCA, Ansteorra, and Elfsea. Then I introduce them to other people (say the Baron or Baroness if they are available) and disappear for a while. If they stay around I will check on them a couple of times and see they meet other people. If they express interest in a specific area, I will try to get them in contact with someone who can help them with it.

When a new person or group comes to an event, I try to sit and talk with them. To find out what attracts them to the SCA. If possible, I try to connect them with others in that area and other new people (who are not quite as new). I make sure they are invited to camp with us, to eat at one of the Elfsea tables. I try to get them involved in some service (waterbearing, kitchen help, helping run the A&S tent, troll) where they can meet other people and feel useful quickly (it also gets them into thinking that service is a major part of the SCA experience).

Be friendly. Don't give them too much information at once and tell them you don't expect them to remember it all. Tell them they can get away with calling everyone Lord or Lady. Complement them on their garb. You can usually tell if they need a companion or would just as happy on their own. But check back later in the day. If there is a feast, make sure they have gear and a place. If there is not a feast, make sure they have some dinner with someone on site.

Even if they need a mentor, you don't have to hang around all day, just try to have them talk to several people over the day. The Baron and Baroness might welcome them to sit in their tent - most new people are suitably impressed, have fun, and lose a little of their brass hat fear. But if you see them there for a long time, rescue them into some other attraction.

All of us should do at least some of this. The Hospitaler and Seneschal should do it a lot and they should use the rest of us to make sure the new members of our group have fun and learn.

Caelin on Andrede
Seneschal to Lord and Lady Elfsea

P.S. And remember to tell them what originally attracted you to the SCA and what attracts you now. Don't talk about being drunk or other things that may be fun to you, but are not really the essence of the SCA in your life.