ES - Fabric Addicts Anonymous (LONG)

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:59:12 PST 2001

After going shopping this weekend with Xene, Arabella, Anezka, Allesandre
and Galen, it got me to thinking about something I saw posted..

Read this. I know I'm an addict. Are you?  :-)

Maria

-----
You know you're a fabriholic when...

...you tell everyone to check with you first before they start any project
because you probably have what they need somewhere.
-- Lady Andred Leichester

Courtesy of our beloved listowner, Gwenllyan

You have an entire room of fabric just waiting for inspiration.

You pass a "sale" at the local fabric store on the way to work, and sweat
all day that by the time you get there all the "good stuff" will be gone.

Spotting a "Fabric Sale" sign causes you to become a traffic hazard as you
U-turn to the nearest ATM before pillaging the store.

You tape "historical" movies (even the really BAD ones) so you can watch
them in slow-motion and make garb sketches.

When you move, the first boxes in the truck (and there are quite a few of
them) are the ones with your fabric and garb. (**and this is quite true... I
just did exactly that )

You always carry a baggie (or something bigger) with swatches and samples of
trim, lists of supplies on hand, and yardage requirements.

You drive your friends nuts by constantly sketching garb.

You have way more garb than you'll ever wear, even if you go to an event
every week.

You take your own drool towel when you visit the shop that has those
gorgeous silk brocades....

Fabric store clerks either welcome you with open arms or cringe every time
you come in the door.

People always get your answering machine, even when you're home, because
you're in your sewing room, "communing" with the soul of that piece of silk
brocade that's just screaming "Italian" at you.

Budgeting your paycheck means taking out your fabric spending allowance
first.

The local fabric (or craft, or yarn) store has a parking space reserved just
for you.

The clerk in the store now knows exactly what you mean when you say you're
making a houpelande.

You "drift" in your period because even if your persona is 15th century
Italian, there's this wonderful 13th c. Celtic gown you have to make, or you
really want a full Elizabethan, or you have this great idea on how to trim
an 11th c. whatever... etc. etc.

You lay in the grass after an auto accident thinking, "hmmmm.... three weeks
in bed... I can finish that beading and maybe get that couched trim done
too..."

You greet your garbaholic friends with, ""ooo.... nice .. how did you do
that? Where did you get this? etc etc....." while ignoring the neck brace
and the black eye.

There's a spectacular sale on linen, and you debate whether to tell your
friends or wait until you've had a chance to go back and buy more yourself.

You go in the fabric store for bias tape and come out with $100 of "bargain
fabric".

The really neat outfit that was the first thing you ever made now looks
really shoddy compared with what you want.

You raise sheep and/or flax so you have the "total period experience".

You actually think twice about postponing paying the phone bill until next
week so you can buy that velvet at only $8 a yard.

Your children, husband, and cats all know better than to speak to you when
you're sewing. Unless the house is on fire. And they'd better grab the garb
and the fabric first.

You critique the costuming on PBS (or A&E, Or the History Channel, etc.)

You wish Halloween was at least six times a year so you'd have an excuse to
wear your garb to work. Again.

You'll be in debt for the next three years but you have to have the silk
velvet at only $33 a yard....

You are no longer content to have just spiffy clothes- you have to have all
- repeat all - the accessories to go with it.

And the biggie: After months of work, you wear your new garb to an event,
and finally get to be the "droolee" instead of one of the droolers.

And from members of the SCA-garb email list:

These really hit close to home! a few more observations:

You Know You're a Garbaholic When:
You have an entire room of fabric just waiting for inspiration.
......and you just know that it has to age properly :)

You pass a "sale" at the local fabric store on the way to work, and sweat
all day that by the time you get there all the "good stuff" will be gone.
.... so you call in with the excuse of a flat tire and go shopping instead

Fabric store clerks either welcome you with open arms or cringe every time
you come in the door.
.... and all the clerks greet you by first name and ask how the last project
went and guide you to the sale tables because they were just about to put
some new fabric out and they know that there will be less after you are
done...

You actually think twice about postponing paying the phone bill until next
week so you can buy that velvet at only $8 a yard.
....You mean that you are supposed to think about this?? *sigh*

You wish Halloween was at least six times a year so you'd have an excuse to
wear your garb to work. Again.
.....You don't care that it's not Halloween, you wear the garb anyways!
heheh

Aldiana
Inner Sea

From: Theboss687 at aol.com
Sorry - found some more.

You call in with the excuse of a flat tire and go shopping instead

"All the clerks greet you by first name and ask how the last project went
and guide you to the sale tables because they were just about to put some
new fabric out and they know that there will be less after you are done... "
.......THIS ONE IS THE BIGGIE !!!!

"You go in the fabric store for bias tape and come out with $100 of "bargain
fabric".
.....Ain't it the truth

From: LuAnnMason at aol.

Awright! Whose been peeking in my "cave of wonders" / AKA "sewing
room"??????
;-) ;-) ;-)

You Know You're a Garbaholic When:

You have an entire room of fabric just waiting for inspiration.
...You mean everybody doesn't have 500 plus yards of fabric? Yes, I
counted...

You pass a "sale" at the local fabric store on the way to work, and sweat
all day that by the time you get there all the "good stuff" will be gone.
....That's what sick days are for....

There's a spectacular sale on linen, and you debate whether to tell your
friends or wait until you've had a chance to go back and buy more yourself.
....Well, there were only 15 yards on the bolt! Really! And I told them
about it afterward.... okay, so it was a gloat.... *sigh*

From: JSchl65101
My son tells me that she who dies with the most material, wins!

Niamh of Wyvern Cliffe

From: thorny_rose at juno.com

You really know you are a garbaholic when traveling 14 hours (one way) to
check out a new fabric store is a good idea. (You guessed it. Been there,
done that, left the t-shirt--Buying it would have interfered with my fabric
buying)

From: scafranc at shore.intercom.net

I agree that if you can identify with the list you are a garbaholic.

Here are a few more:
You know you are a garbaholic when you regularly go to thrift stores and
yard sales for sheets for chemises and shirts and always check out the
curtain selection too.
Your friend's local school is having a Renaissance performance and you
outfit the entire band from your garb closet. (This just happened to me this
week.)
Having one closet and an entire dresser for finished garb and one closet for
projects in work (to be done, repaired, sized, fabrics that need to be hung
until used) is my personal signature. I have three closets in my house and
only one small one has my mundane clothes in it.

From: Seton1355 at aol.com
"Another sign of possible excess is when you have your fabric collection
listed in a codicil to your will, and your fabric heir keeps trying to take
you to fabric sales."
This is NO JOKE! I thought I was the only one in the world who had willed
her fabric to another, after my death. :) BTW, it's going to my quilting
buddy.