ES - What is a Page??

Darius and Monica dmmerlick at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 06:26:24 PST 2001

Ok we have discussed at length many excellent ideas. As people seem to
like the idea and concept of taking pages, I now ask "What is a page?"

I know a little.  I know Pages were often children of noble families
sent to be of service to another noble.  Durring this time of service
they would also attend court at times with their foster family and learn
the ways of the court, the graces required, heraldry of the court, and
how to act and be a gentle of rank and station. As well they were
playmates and friends to the children of the family they lived with.

In our context of historical recreation how should we treat a page? What
duties should be standard responsibilities and roles of Page and the
gentle they are page to? I know some of these will most certainly
defined by individual agreement between page, parents and noble, such as
the relationship between Arnbjorn and HE Galen. What I am asking is a
general baseline of what we expect of ourselves and a page given the
situation of the relationship.

At Home in Elfsea
Darius