ES - The Italian takes a turn "Staying warm"

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 11:53:49 PST 2001

>As a short hint though, Canadian Boy Scout = Be Prepared + Cold. :)\

'Nuf said!

>Did you know your body has already decided for you what bits of it are
> >important and the fact that you might be fond of some of >the
>'unimportant' bits doesn't make a bit of difference to it?

I certainly have.  And speaking of "unimportant" bits, you may have missed
one - the neck!  I have spent time out of doors with a lovely (not ugly) hat
on, and plenty of _warm_ clothes.  However, I have found it important (to
me) to also have a warm neck.  So remember your scarves, high collared
shirts, turtlenecks, etc.  They will also be very useful.

>I'm not sure if it's an issue at Gulf War but shower in warm shower >not
>hot.

There is hot/warm water at Gulf Wars.  Especially late in the evening.
I would advise taking a shower as the last thing in the day and change into
_fresh_ underclothes for bed.  This saves time in the morning and means that
your undergarments aren't freezing/wet, etc.  Or you can take them off after
you've gotten into bed and stick 'em under your pillow (per Wilim).

Avoid washing your hair at night (or really cold mornings), unless you bring
a hairdryer (there is electricity in the forepart of the bath house, away
from the water), or bundle your hair up completely under a _dry_ towel.  I
can get away with towel drying my hair, braiding it, and putting it under a
nightcap (YMMV).

Speaking of nightcaps - WEAR ONE!!!  As Wilim said, just because you are not
outside, doesn't mean there's heat in your tent.  Wearing a hood or soft
bonnet on your head while you sleep could mean the difference between a cold
night and a comfortable one.  Failing a hat, wear a loose weave blanket over
your head (make sure you _can_ breathe).  Occasionally I've done both.

>Open up that bed.

Especially if it's damp outside.  Get air circulating around.  But remake it
before the sun goes down or else it's all for nothing.

Just my 2000 lire,

Alessandra Desiderio
(Veteran of about half a dozen Gulf Wars)