ES - Stay Warm at War

Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Mon Jan 8 16:13:28 PST 2001

Wilim Penbras wrote:

Excellent information.

An important consideration with any combustion heater is ventilation.
Where you might not have to ventilate (and thus vent some of your heat
out) with electric heaters, one might get a little too much sleep in a
nice watertight tent heated with propane or Coleman fuel, i.e. carbon
monoxide. There is some talk that tents are not airtight enough to be
concerned with carbon monoxide, but there might not be a second chance
if you're wrong.

We have some Coleman propane powered catalytic tent heaters. These have
a catalytic heating element that works pretty much like the catalytic
converter on your car to ensure that only CO2 and water vapor are
produced by the burning propane. One bottle of propane will run the
heater for about 6-8 hours. I found that I turned mine on for about an
hour and it got too hot for me and I shut it off. Then when I woke up in
the morning, I lit it to warm the tent before I actually had to walk
around it it.

Another important consideration is dry bedding. If you sleep in a heated
tent or heavily bundled (or both), your bedding is going to be moist
from perspiration. That is, if it's not rain-soaked :) If weather
permits, leave your bedding open with the heater on it to dry it during
the day. Someone once suggested putting your bedding in a sealed or bag
with a bucket of DampRid or the like to dry it if it's wet outside. I
haven't tried this, but it seems possible. I wouldn't think DampRid
would work that fast, but who knows?

> Still the temperature we deal with at war won't be down in the
> teens and certainly not in the negative teens.

I was not there that year, but early in the week of Gulf War VII saw
overnight temperatures down in the teens....

It can certainly happen... :)

Sluggy!