ES - Ballista Bolt issues

Wilim Penbras wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Tue Jan 30 07:46:21 PST 2001

I just double checked the rules and according to the currently posted Gulf War siege engine conventions there are a few things I want to clear up.  It only states a few things about ballista bolts.

They can only be a maximum of 1 pound each.

Only PVC bolts have to be covered lengthwise in strapping tape.

Bolts must be fletched with a non-rigid material.

No Counter weights on or in bolts to make them fly better (except of course for the fletching).

Some construction methods talk about using string looped under the ridge of the golf tube  for holding the tennis balls on.  GWC calls for strapping tape and duct tape.

Only unarmed crew members are considered touch kill.  IF you're authorized to carry a sword and have it they've got to fight it out with you.  I believe when an archer drops his bow and takes a sword he can't go back top being an archer.  I'm not sure if the same principle applies to siege crewmen.

Aim for anything folks.  A hit from a ballista anywhere on a fighter kills.

Pavises can protect Engines from archers but are destroyed with Ballista fire.

And yeah, any archers hiding behind pavises are killed with the pavise if it's hit with a bolt.

Battering rams and the like need "a minimum number of personnel to be effective.  This number will be decided by the designer and the marshals. "  Whether that means our marshal's or thier's is debatable.

Ballista bolts don't skip along like rocks on water.  Once they hit the killing force is gone.  If it hits in front of you and bounces up to hit you it's non-lethal.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

In Service,
     Wilim Penbras