ES - The latest on Siege Weapons

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Jan 26 07:18:42 PST 2001

Wilim, Llwelyn, and I are seige weapon marshals. Bjorn and a few others
in Loch Rudh are also, I believe. We will authorize anyone who shows up
at fighter practice when we have a ballista present. We will try to
have one present every weekend until war, but since I cannot bring
mine in the Miata, I cannot promise there will always be one.

Each crew member who touches the ballista must be authorized. They
must wear heavy armor at least to the level of a white diamond
fighter. They may also participate, when not shooting the ballista,
in any other heavy combat for which they are separately authorized.
That is, when the bolts are done or the ballista is killed, if the
fighter is still alive and authorized as an archer, he or she can
pick up their bow and arrows and join the fray. The same for chivalric
combat.

That means we need people who (1) will go to the war, (2) get
authorized in seige and possibly something else, and (3) will
get or have furnished a minimal set of armor. Number 3 is
perhaps the most difficult, but we are having armor parties
several times before war and I will help financially. I could
purchase the materials for helms, for instance, on the condition
they be donated to the Barony after war or I be repaid for the
materials later if the wearer wants to keep them. Or something
else. I would like to help and my time is constrained, so anyone
who needs help being a ballista crew member may contact me for help.

Caelin on Andrede