[Elfsea] candlemaking from beeswax & etc.

housedragonstar housedragonstar at prodigy.net
Mon Jul 9 18:50:39 PDT 2001

To add to what Timothy has to say...

We have long thought that it would be very cool to have a "Candle Dip."  Of
course, we were thinking of doing this in January.  For those of you who
participate in Roman Catholic, Anglican, some Lutheran (I think, but I am
not sure) and Episcopalian faiths, you may recall that Candlemas, or the
Mass of the Candles is still celebrated in some parishes.  It goes along
with St. Blaise day, when throats are blessed.  This mass was also the mass
where the year's supply of church candles was blessed for the coming year.
The general belief is that is easier to dip and mold when it is rather cold
outside that when it is blazing hot.  So, this is when alot of candles were
made.

I can't say that this is the best of scholarship, since I was told this by a
very traditional, old-fashioned, anglo-celto-phile wife of an Episcopalian
priest.  It does however, have a ring of truth, or at least good sense to
it.

It would be great to save a bit of the wax for January.  We could build a
nice fire down the hill, amidst the clearing in the forest, dip candles and
forget the mundane world for a time.  After all, it will be post holiday
season bill paying and tax figuring time by then.

Medb