[Elfsea] Trip to London, part II (Day 4)

Glen Wilkerson gdwilkerson at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 10:14:08 PDT 2001

From: Glenda Simmons <glendasimmons at wtez.net>
To: Glen Wilkerson <gdwilkerson at earthlink.net>
Date: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 7:21 AM
Subject: Day 4

Day 4 was Westminister Abby, the British Muesum and general tourist gauking. This is where we missed seeing the troops salute the Queen by a few minutes. We got up and it was raining and by 9:15 am the weather forcaster had not called for or cancelled the parade so we decided to see the Abby and not stand in the rain. Needless to say, the troops were called forth, the Queen trotted down from the palace and took the salute and trotted back to the palace in light drizzle. We were just finishing the Abby tour when the bells started ringing and rang for 30 minutes. As we left the Abby, we saw many couples who were dressed "very nicely" complete with big hats and gloves leaving St. James Square, just a short block from Westminister. We went to London and didn't see the Queen. As we went down to catch the tube for another destination, we were behind a gentleman in morning coat, gray stripped pants, top hat and walking stick. He purchashed a one way ticket and got on the tube.