[Elfsea] candlemaking from beeswax & etc.

Timothy Rayburn timothy_of_glastonbury at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 15:17:30 PDT 2001

Greetings!

I just wanted to share a bit of experience from someone with about 50
pounds of beeswax still in his possession.  Beeswax is far more
demanding of molds than Paraffin variations of wax are.  Beeswax will
bond onto just about any metal mold you put it into.  There is little
to no shrinkage with beeswax and so is just clings to the walls of
molds wonderfully.  There are sold, considerably expensive, molds for
beeswax that are rubber that can peel back away and resist being bonded
to.  Expensive goes in the area of 70 bucks per mold.

For most of period, according to my little bit of research, candles
were of one of two types.  The first is dipped candles to create tapers
or their kin.  The second is container candles where the container
molded but stayed with the candle.

That said, let me know if you put together a candle-making party.  I've
a keen interest and will pick it up more so once I finish my move and
my shop is setup in my new garage. :)

Timothy