[Elfsea] A chance to own something rare

GulesBaron at aol.com GulesBaron at aol.com
Sun Jul 1 15:19:11 PDT 2001

I received this from the baroness of my old barony in Atlantia.  Thought some
would be interested.  The contact info is at the bottom.  If any one knows of
any other groups that might be interested please pass this along.  Thanks
Geoffrey

There was an old baroness,
Who lived in a shoe....

   Well, it's not quite true, but close enough for our purposes. The Barony
of Marinus needs a pavilion to shade our people and to be a place of
hospitality and camaraderie. We also need to slake our thirst for knowledge,
which we do by lending aid to the printing of the Kingdom's A&S newsletter,
the Oak. So keeping these two desires in mind -

   We bought a book. An old, old book.

   How could buying a book, especially one printed in 1568, help us with our
quest for fulfilment? Easy - we're going to raffle the book away and split
the proceeds between our need for food (for the mind) and shelter. So we are
announcing the lottery of :

"Martyrologium", written approx. in the year 875 by Usuardus, a monk of St.
Germani de Pratis and purveyor of saintly artefacts for his King, Charles
the Bald; reprinted during the Great Religious Debate (in the year 1568) by
Johann Molanus, a theological professor at Louvain. The work was "the most
famous document of it's time" according to the Catholic Encyclopaedia and is
still a referenced authority on it's subject.
   Our copy is documented in the Cockx-Indestege and the Adams listings, and
is in excellent condition, although it is now missing it's cover. The edges
of the pages are in red and none are missing or defaced. Although it is
written in Latin, the entries are well organised and this non-Latin reader
could puzzle out enough to find the entry for her patron saint and which
feast days occurred on her birthday. I also liked the scattering of pictures
in the text.

   If you'd like a chance to own a book printed in 1568, or to gift it to a
loved one or academic institution with such a treasure of the past, here is
your opportunity. Chances will be sold at a dollar (US) each. The actual
lottery will take place at Pennsic. Tickets will be sold in advance,
starting now, by mail or in person, and will continue to be sold until the
actual drawing. Information about where they will be available during
Pennsic will be posted after landgrab. If you are not attending the event,
we can make delivery arrangements.

For more information, please contact Baroness Rosine of Rowanwald at
Rowanwald at sybercom.net., or by writing to Terri Morgan, 905 Spring Garden
Lane, Virginia Beach, VA 23452.

Please help us with this worthy cause. This book should go to someone who
will enjoy having a piece of our time period in their hand.

In service,
Rosine of Rowanwald*
Nobility depends not on parentage or place of birth,
but on breadth of compassion and depth of loving-kindness.
If we would be noble, let us be great-hearted.
rowanwald at sybercom.net

* I give permission, request, pray that this message will be forwarded to
such lists as would have interested readers.