[Elfsea] Fw: Youth

barb draeco55 at home.com
Wed Jun 27 22:40:53 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----

> Youth Academy Proposal
>
> by
>
> Viscountess Katherine Mariana O'Malley
>
> The purpose of this Academy will be to assist the youth of our society to
understand, question, and become a working group within our kingdom. I had a
Youth Court which consisted of a Youth Champion who was in charge of my
Youth Guard, an A&S Champion, and a Court of Handmaidens with a Chief
Handmaiden. I would like to see this become a tradition in Ansteorra as
well.

> In many ways, youth of the ages 10-17 are to young to autocrat, hold an
office, or organize an event. In addition, they are too old to go to
children's activities. I want to help them find a focus and support them in
their endeavors. As I do not wish to be a baby-sitting agency, I will need
the parents to participate. I will ask the parents to sit in on discussions
and assist in events involving their children. My main objective is to have
our youth participating in productive and exciting activities with
supervision. When assistance is required with youth activities, I will
create volunteer schedules. I would like to have the youth assist the ruling
royalty, nobles and guests. I want these individuals to learn to serve with
dignity and respect; for themselves and those they serve.

> I want to teach them Arts & Sciences, Service, the different forms of
Combat, Waterbearing, the Chirurgeonate, Equestrian, Sewing 101, and the
responsibilities of being a member of a Barony. I want them to understand
what it is to be a Baron and Baroness, a King and Queen, a Mistress and
Master of the Laurel and a Pelican as well as what it is to be a Knight.
These students will also learn how to tell the difference between coronets:
King, Queen, Royal Highness' Baron and Baroness, Court Baron and Baroness,
Count and Countess, Duke and Duchess, Viscount and Viscountess and the
proper manner in addressing each. My ultimate goal is for them to have fun
while learning.

> Eventually, I would like to have specific awards for the program at the
Baronial and Kingdom level (i.e., Service, A&S, etc.). Once the bugs are
worked out, I hope to recruit volunteers in other areas to create like
academies. I will do all that I can to aid in organizing their endeavors. I
am willing to travel to different areas to teach our tried and true methods,
pitfalls, mistakes and enthusiasms over projects that work well.

> The SCA was originally created for college students, but not youth. I hope
to integrate our youth into the adult world of the SCA. We have youth that
have been playing since birth because their parents have been playing that
long. I have witnessed boredom, lack of enthusiasm, and no direction. When
there is nothing to do, unconstructive and troublesome behaviors have the
opportunities to rear their ugly heads.

> I am not asking for this undertaking to become a baronial office or
responsibility. I am asking for advice, ideas, and thoughts. I would like
the support of the Barony so that I might bounce this worthwhile idea
around. I would like to hold youth events at a future date.

> I propose to have fund-raisers so that we can make this Academy
self-supporting. There are many ways this can be accomplished: car washes,
bake sales at events, craft sales, etc. I also hope to take some field trips
to historical museums and other educational places.

> I have considered creating a Youth Academy for some time. I am well aware
of the responsibilities and commitment, as I am the joy I will receive in
return. My hope is that the youth will enjoy it as much as I will.

> I have two Ladies-in-Waiting, three Pages (ages 8, 13, and 15) and a
Handmaiden (age 16). These learning goals I have set for them, I thought.why
not expand to the Barony, Cantons, Shires, Incipient Shires, and finally,
the Kingdom.

> I have worked with youth for the majority of my adult life. I have taught
youth in a religious environment for four years. I was a foster parent
several years ago. Youth are drawn to me and I feel it is my responsibility
to guide them in a positive direction. This is the most positive direction
that I can see to motivate our youth to be productive.

> I could easily go on and on regarding the establishment of this Academy
but this gives you an overview of my goals, hopes, and desires.

> Your humble servant,
> Viscountess Kate
>
> I will be sending more info shortly. I am currently penning handbook
entries for the Youth Academy concerning SCA 101, Court Etiquette,
Autocrating, Service, A&S, and Creating Your Own Events Along With Other
Events.  My goal for adults in our Kingdom is to help the youth be
recognized as contributing members.

> I would appreciate all suggestions, advice and assistance. I have
basically figured out what I want to do to get this Academy started, but I
will need help figuring out what works best.