[Elfsea] Legal anachronisms

P. Crandal Polk pcrandal at flash.net
Thu Jun 7 18:44:26 PDT 2001

Unto my good friends,

I have been out of sorts lately as I have had to face first hand the
horrors of our judicial system.

In other words, for the past week I have been seated on a jury in a
criminal case.

We made decisions for which none of the 12 of us (yes, it was not a
petit court) are entirely happy, but as part of the charge to us from
the judge said, we did not cause excessive violence to our conscience.

I am now free to pursue the joys of daily grind, and for that, I am
grateful. I cannot see how some of our "public servants" can bear with
their onerous duties, but I am sure they get satisfaction out of it.

We were occasionally treated with courtesy and respect, but I did miss
the "Oyez, oyez" and other more traditional courtly things.

See you in the "real" world of English common law and absolute
monarchies. (If we let them.)

Crandall